Garage lights - new switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just moved house. Garage has 2 strip lights and a double switch (i.e. 2 switches on 1 plate) by the up and over door. I want to add another switch nearer the side door to save my shins as I wander through trying to find the light switch. What do I need to do? If it matters, I believe the lights are powered from a mains socket in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Tony, couple of things.

Check to see if the lights are powered from the socket circuit, if they are, they should be fed via a fused spur (FCU), something like this..

K337WHI.JPG

If it is not, then you should add one to the circuit as soon as possible.

Secondly, check the existing switch plate, if the switches on the plate are 1 way, ie they only have two terminals, then you need to change it to a 2 way 2 gang. For the other side of your garage you will need another 2 way 2 gang.

These two sets of switches then need to be wired together. From each of the existing switches tyou need to take a Three Core and Earth cable to the switches on the other plate.

The cables in the existing switches will go in L1 and L2 respectively, as will the Yellow and Blue cores of the new cable. The Red core goes into the terminal marked C or Common at both ends.

One thing to remember, which terminal you put the Yellow and Blue in, it must be the same terminal at the other switch. Also, the Blue and Yellow should be marked with red tape at both ends.

That's great - thanks. Hope u don;t mind a couple of follow ups.
Will the terminals differ between a 1 gang and a 2 gang or will L1 and L2 be present in both?
The garage power goes through and RCD - do I still need the FCU?
Why do the cables need red tape on them?
Thanks again.

if it does not have L2 in will be one way, chances are as its 2 gang it will

you do still require the fcu

you put red tape to indicatethe cables are live / switched live

Sponsored Links
That's a gr8 magic trick, changing from FWL to Breezer in the blink of an eye..let me know how you do that some time!! :LOL:

securespark said:
That's a gr8 magic trick, changing from FWL to Breezer in the blink of an eye..let me know how you do that some time!! :LOL:

Watch the insults you..I know your email address :D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back