garage

Sponsored Links
if its a lean to garage you probably wont need it, phone local council they will tell you.......:eyes

Do you need planning permission for a timber framed garage or is planning needed just for a brick / blockwork garage?

Sponsored Links
I remember seeing something on T.V about some famous celebrity who had a minature "dome" (remember that) put up in his garden his neighbours complained and objected because he didn't have planning permission. The tv programme mentioned he didn't need planning permission as it was only a temporay structure. so i Guess it depneds on your view of temporary.

Best ask your local council

Anything that obsrtucts any one of your neighbours view requires planning permission, a garage built from any material would come into that category.

Depends on where you are putting it, how big it is, and if the property has been extended before. You could ask your local planning office - they can be quite helpful. Ours (Charnwood) send out an idiots guide which I found very useful.

If you don't want to talk to them Mr Prescott has put all of the relevant stuff on line at http://www.planning.odpm.gov.uk/guide/. It's very windy, but the info is in there somewhere.

General rule of thumb is you need permission to build between your house and the highway, if the new whatever is to be over 3m high at your boundry, if you have used up your permissable building rights, if you are in a conservation area.

You may not need permission for a building no more than 3m high (4m with pitched roof) more than 5m from the house - so a garage at the bottom of your garden would be easier than one next to the house - provided the house and out buildings do not cover more than 50% of the plot.

I enquired about this to build my garage/shed extension and I don't have to have permission. In my area, anything under 70 cubic metres doesn't need permission. (be it brick, wood, tiles, felt..anything!) (I'm in North Hampshire)

See the pics on my previous reply to a post: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1804

If you are building within 5 meters of your house, you are (usually - special circumstances may apply so it is prudent to ask of your local authority) allowed a certain percentage of the volume of your property or a fixed amount - 50 cubic meters for a terraced house, 70 for semi or detatched - which ever is the greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back