Garden side entrance - rebuilding fence/wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I finally have some time to tidy up the front garden, and one of my first projects is to rebuild the side entrance to the garden and garage.

I have several unused marine plywood panels and thought of creating something more substantial than just a fence for the front (see attached pictures). My plan is to build a wall from the plywood, add battens, and finish it with horizontal wooden cladding. I also intend to make a custom door from the plywood and clad it to match the wall (theres a reason for the over-the top wall for a garden, bare with me).

Here's my very simplified step-by-step plan:
  1. Attach a post to the wall.
  2. Attach a post to the existing concrete post (as seen in the picture, it's level and sturdy).
  3. Secure posts to the concrete panel garage. If there's no obvious place to attach, I might use rods with epoxy drilled into the ground.
  4. Attach the plywood panels.
  5. Finish with cladding on the outer-facing wall.
In the future, I might build a lean-to shed between the garage and the house, so this wall would be the first step. Eventually, I’d like to add a transparent roof from the house wall to the garage.

(Options im pictures) Would you recommend Option A: a flat wall with a slight slope at the end, or Option B: forgetting the lean-to altogether? Or do you have any other suggestions?

I understand the plywood wall might seem a bit much, but I have plenty of it and would rather use it than let it go to waste (I've already used a lot on a garden house).

A few other questions assuming this is okay so far:
1. Would you add posts along the floor as if it were for a normal wall? (with DPM below), Basically treat it like its a proper wall?
2. Is a Post attached to the wall using something like thunderbolts okay? or are hammerfix fixings okay?

Thanks for any suggestions, tips, or help!

Attachments

• 20240623_102720.jpg
    20240623_102720.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Option A.jpg
    Option A.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Option B.jpg
    Option B.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240623_102740.jpg
    20240623_102740.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back