Garden sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanting to add 2x 2-gang sockets in my garden. Can I do this, and just have a sparky connect up from the RCD to the fuseboard?
What's the best design for this otherwise?

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 13.28.06.png

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician.

If the supply is being run directly from a RCD protected (dedicated) MCB on the consumer unit, why the need for an external RCD? I would guess that the CU MCB might trip faster than the external one.

You will however be spurring off a single 2.5mm. Not sure if that is allowed. That said it is rated at 33 to 36A so, personally, I can't a problem with it being on a 32A MCB.

Hopefully a proper electrician will be along to help you.

Best of luck

Wanting to add 2x 2-gang sockets in my garden. Can I do this,
You can. However, the maximum load would be 13A for the garden sockets.
If the supply is being run directly from a RCD protected (dedicated) MCB on the consumer unit, why the need for an external RCD? I would guess that the CU MCB might trip faster than the external one.
There is not much of a need for two RCDs. OP could just fit an outdoor fused spur however a RCD protected socket can avoid nuisance tripping and causing other sockets to turn off whenever a fault is present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back