Garden Tap thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've attached an image of a Garden Tap where the unscrewed nut will not screw back on. I don't know how it became undone (maybe the large handle unscrewed it) and I began to wonder if it was a left-hand thread but no amount of attempts to re-fit works. Could something be preventing forward movement or is it just a damaged thread?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240719_092840.jpg
    20240719_092840.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
It won't be a left hand thread so should just screw back in. If it won't, just replace the tap. That ones upside down anyway. Looks like that tap has check valves incorporated so get one the same. Less than a tenner from Screwfix.

1. It will be a normal right hand thread.
2. It's probably held by corrosion / muck.
3. If the handle will come off (screw into the spindle from middle of handle):
3.1 Close tap fully or isolate water supply.
3.2 Unscrew and remove handle.
3.3 Remove nut (its called a gland nut)
3.4 Clean the spindle with scale remover (e.g. Kilrock) and clean with fine wire wool. Get into the housing as far as possible.
3.5 Dig out any packing that's blocking the gland nut.
3.6 Make up new packing with PTFE tape rolled into a string.
3.7 Reassemble and test.
4. If the handle won't come off, do as above the best that you can, particularly removing any old packing.

1. It will be a normal right hand thread.
2. It's probably held by corrosion / muck.
3. If the handle will come off (screw into the spindle from middle of handle):
3.1 Close tap fully or isolate water supply.
3.2 Unscrew and remove handle.
3.3 Remove nut (its called a gland nut)
3.4 Clean the spindle with scale remover (e.g. Kilrock) and clean with fine wire wool. Get into the housing as far as possible.
3.5 Dig out any packing that's blocking the gland nut.
3.6 Make up new packing with PTFE tape rolled into a string.
3.7 Reassemble and test.
4. If the handle won't come off, do as above the best that you can, particularly removing any old packing.
Thanks. I have got a spare Garden Tap without a check valve. Would it be possible to replace the section of the tap indicated by a red line with the same section from the spare tap.?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have got a spare Garden Tap without a check valve. Would it be possible to replace the section of the tap indicated by a red line with the same section from the spare tap.?

What red line? From your photo, it looks as if the packing, around the spindle as expanded, preventing you from getting the nut back in place. I would try tapping the packing back into place, with a blunt object, first, then try again with the nut.

I would also do something about the strange angle of the tap - turn the stop tap off, undo the tap, and try fitting a variety of washers on it, until you get it straight. The washers, are just a few pence.

What red line? From your photo, it looks as if the packing, around the spindle as expanded, preventing you from getting the nut back in place. I would try tapping the packing back into place, with a blunt object, first, then try again with the nut.

I would also do something about the strange angle of the tap - turn the stop tap off, undo the tap, and try fitting a variety of washers on it, until you get it straight. The washers, are just a few pence.
This was the image I meant to post to your comment.

Attachments

• Garden Tap.jpg
    Garden Tap.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 36
If you don't have a check valve within the property ,on the supply to that tap ,don't fit a new tap that doesn't have an integrated check valve .
You could try to fit the headwork from new tap to old ,good chance it would be suitable. If not ,fit a new tap.

If you don't have a check valve within the property ,on the supply to that tap ,don't fit a new tap that doesn't have an integrated check valve .
You could try to fit the headwork from new tap to old ,good chance it would be suitable. If not ,fit a new tap.
Thanks. It appears that the packing was the issue and the nut now screws on successfully with no leaks.

No need for washers. Use enough PTFE tape on the thread so that it is tight as it screws in. Stop when the tap is vertical just before it runs out of thread. If it screws in too easily, remove and add a few more turns of tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back