Building a Garden workshop in brick or block (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post. I had a self built garden timber workshop, which I have now removed. I want something more durable, but I'm torn between a 1) brick/block cavity build, 2) an outer brick and internal timber frame cavity, and a 3) single wall 8" block build.
I'm hoping to have the strip foundation poured soon, to a depth of 600mm by 450mm wide. The build will be about 3.8m X 5.5. due to the long length and the need for internal height, I'm hoping for a hipped roof, with a sort of vaulted ceiling. I'm a carpenter and will be making furniture and probably staircases. So I need internal height.

I have quite a small budget, but don't want to cheap out for the sake of it.

It would be nice if I could eventually use it as an office/ man cave once I stop using it as a work shop.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Budgets not that tight! I'm settled on one of the 3 options I mentioned. I did think of timber build, and could have done the work myself and save on labour.

Sponsored Links
I suppose for economy, you could have a single-skin brick shell, but built ready to line with an insulated inner skin if and when you get permission and funds for a habitable extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back