Gas hob 'pulsing' on two of the rings - meter regulator fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Around a month ago, my old gas hob started pulsing (the ring spits up a bit, making a noise) every few seconds. It varies between the four rings - one is completely fine, one is nearly fine, one pulses a bit, and the other a lot. The flames are still pretty much blue, and all four rings are usable. Does the fact that it varies between the four hob rings mean that it is likely a fault with the appliance and not the supply line? A few weeks back, I took off the caps and dispersers off the rings and made sure they're clean/not blocked and properly seated - it didn't help, but I think switching the dispersers round between the four rings changed which flames are now better/worse.

One plan of action I've got is that I don't yet have a smart meter, and my supplier (Octopus) has appointments available next week. I could get a smart meter fitted, at which point I believe they also change the meter regulator, which some Googling tells me might be responsible for the issue (and I could also use the opportunity to get the engineer to have a look/stick my wet vac onto the outlet from the meter to get any water out of my house's gas pipe while it's disconnected, if that's ok - the only other thing the pipe supplies is my old gas boiler. ). I wasn't particularly keen on getting a smart meter but I don't really care, if there's a chance it could solve my problem. The only thing I'm a bit anxious about is that the wiring in my house is pretty dodgy (hasn't been looked at by an electrician for many years) and I'm not sure if there could be issues there with replacing the electric meter, or if the installer would condemn something...

Appreciate any advice!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back