Gas usage with Hopusewarmer economy 44 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Housewarmer economy 44 back boiler 1986. It keeps heating the house and water, so I leave well alone.
I was away for a few weeks, so switched it off, but it has a pilot light. My son read the meter for a week, and the gas consumption was 3 cubic meters. This seems far to much, what do you think?
Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Is that 3 m3 in a week or 3 m3 over the time you were away ?

You can away turn off the pilot light when you are away, can be a faff to turn back on.

Last edited:
1. Are you sure the meter is cubic meters or is it cubic feet?
2. No other gas appliance (e.g. hob) used during the measurement week?
3. Photograph of meter would be useful.
4. A 38 year old back boiler would be lucky to have an efficiency of 50%. You might want to do the cost / benefit calculation for updating to a condensing boiler.
5. A doubt you can get any parts for a boiler that old, so your "leave well alone" approach is very prudent.

Hi,
I have a Housewarmer economy 44 back boiler 1986. It keeps heating the house and water, so I leave well alone.
I was away for a few weeks, so switched it off, but it has a pilot light. My son read the meter for a week, and the gas consumption was 3 cubic meters. This seems far to much, what do you think?
Camerart.
Sounds about right, 33 watts/hr, 3x11x1000/7/24

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right, 33 watts/hr, 3x11x1000/7/24
Not with you. 3x11x1000/7/24 = 196 watt (not watt/hr!). For the OP, the 11 is kWh/m3 gas CV.

Seems a bit high, but could be right for a boiler that old. 196 watt is about 1700 kWh/year, total gas consumption typical say 20000 kWh/year.

Also for 3 m3 in 7 days, with a few broad assumptions I estimate pilot jet diameter 0.5 mm, which could be about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back