Gate Lights - this is weird!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help! My gate lights work fine for about 6 hours or so and then unexpectedly trip my mcb for no apparent reason. The lights are switched from inside the house. I've bought and installed brand new lights and changed the switch but no improvement, although I got a record 11 hours out of them recently!
It's not an overload issue as the lights typically fail during the night. Bulbs are simple everyday 60w. The gate lights are fed via the switch to an external junction box and armoured cable from there to the lights. Have checked all connections and no signs of any damage to the cable.
Can anyone suggest some test I could do to try and get to the bottom of this, perhaps at least to isloate the issue to pre or post switch.
Many thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
Can anyone suggest some test I could do to try and get to the bottom of this, perhaps at least to isloate the issue to pre or post switch.

insulation resistance of the cable, unfortunatly its unlikely that you'll have the equipment to do this :(

There is the faintest possibility that you have a fault MCB.
Assuming you have two lighting cicuits, swap the cables and see if the other one trips. Other than that, as Adam has said you will have to do insulation tests on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - much appreciated. Have changed to the other MCB (worth a go!) and failing that will call in the pros.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back