Glazed gable end with vaulted roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade our current garden room to have a vaulted roof design using a glulam based ridge beam that will be exposed from the inside. I also like the look of a glazed gable end all the way to the ridge beam with bifolds underneath. Now the better half prefers the slim look glazing to maximize light and view so she is not a fan of the large posts that support the ridge beam in the centre. We like the look of something like this as an example below but nowhere near the scale of this one. But this doesn't seem to marry up with the need to support the ridge beam.

1724603961957.png

I know the inside of this room is also a vaulted roof design, but the glazing on the gable end simply looks like the window framing without support for the ridge beam. My question is, how it this achieved? My guess is some kind of steel A frame design where the support for the ridge is transferred down the A frame without the need for a centre post in the middle?

A second question would be the cost implications of this design vs lets say a non glazed gable end with just an RSJ and bifolds below and bricked and rendered above, where the ridge beam will just sit on top brick work? Would we be talking 1.5x, 2x cost etc...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whole thing’s done with steels normally, in your pic there would be steels running above the glazing line/behind the barge board area, and for the vertical columns down to the ground each side. Costs would be significantly more due to steel design, supply and needing to connect stuff together in situ, and glazing cost

Sponsored Links
Whole thing’s done with steels normally, in your pic there would be steels running above the glazing line/behind the barge board area, and for the vertical columns down to the ground each side. Costs would be significantly more due to steel design, supply and needing to connect stuff together in situ, and glazing cost

We are coming to the end of our renovation/extension project, which essentially focused on adding glazed galbels to the front and back fo the house......There was ALOT of steels involved!!!

Both the architect or builders were amazed at the amount, but no one could argue with 20 pages+ of structural engineering drawings and calculations.

53370803129_5183114177_c_d.jpg

53912849994_5801f91c8c_c_d.jpg

53173110419_8b8951cf55_c_d.jpg
53310442762_6ab049eb8c_c_d.jpg

53914577930_9dd55dd01d_c_d.jpg

We are coming to the end of our renovation/extension project, which essentially focused on adding glazed galbels to the front and back fo the house......There was ALOT of steels involved!!!

Both the architect or builders were amazed at the amount, but no one could argue with 20 pages+ of structural engineering drawings and calculations.

53370803129_5183114177_c_d.jpg

53912849994_5801f91c8c_c_d.jpg

53173110419_8b8951cf55_c_d.jpg
53310442762_6ab049eb8c_c_d.jpg

53914577930_9dd55dd01d_c_d.jpg
Wow, now that's a project. The scale of ours is more like the last two pictures

Wow, now that's a project. The scale of ours is more like the last two pictures

Adding just the dormer glazed gable was relatively simple on our build versus the double height entrance hall wall/kitchen. As other have said get a structural engineer involved and go from there. Our ‘mistake’ was also involving an architect, once you see some fancy drawings it’s hard to ignore :).

Would you mix and match glulam for the ridge beam and steels for the gable or would the entire thing need to be glulam even though the gable end won't have the frame exposed?
You can mix the two but obviously costs increase a little as more complicated connections are involved as well as additional suppliers.

You can mix the two but obviously costs increase a little as more complicated connections are involved as well as additional suppliers.
Suppose there is the possibility of going the full glulam based frame and just not expose the gable end frame to keep costs lower?

Well if you need posts either side of the window they'll be steel anyway, did you check out the diagrams that were linked to in post no 2? I would get yourself a good designer who appreciates what you want to achieve.

Well if you need posts either side of the window they'll be steel anyway, did you check out the diagrams that were linked to in post no 2? I would get yourself a good designer who appreciates what you want to achieve.
I did look at the other thread, but if steels will always be required for the columns, then I guess it would make sense to go the full steel gable end. The plan is to get an architect + SE, but I just want to know if the glazed gable is a non starter based on cost. The space is 3m x 3m with an estimated 45 degree pitch, so pretty standard. The foundation and slate roof will be reused too. So if a bricked gable end with RSJ above doors is let's say £20k for arguments sake, are we talking £25k, £30k etc.. for glazed gable end?

Without SE calculations it's impossible for anyone to guess the cost but we paid £10k+ just for the glazing of the dommer gable.

You can ofcourse get UPVC glazing for around 1/3 of the cost, but if your making the glazing a feature why would you cheap out on glazing.

I would say you are looking at £30k if you plan to finish the room to a decent spec.

53916755117_735a41b204_c_d.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back