Glow worm 18hxi boiler - rust down the back plate, advised new boiler needed - is this true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a novice with boilers so looking for a second opinion.

Carbon monoxide monitor went off, called out gas safety engineer who declared unfit and told me to get a service as seal may have blown.

Called out an engineer who instantly said he knew what was wrong as these boilers have it as a common problem, that these models are common faults and that the metal part of the boiler pushes onto the back of the flue, which causes it to crack and then condensation leaks out which corrodes the boiler.

Advised he can risk taking it apart to check and service which would cost, but he is sure I need a new one with a quote of £2-3k.

Just looking for a second opinion as I am a novice and this cost will not come at a good time (when does it!)

Thanks in advance - pic included

IMG_8291.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8290.jpeg
    IMG_8290.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Most likely the plastic condensate collector seal or cracked ,probably around 3/4 hrs to change. Glow worm do a fixed price repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back