Glue down LVT - 12mm hardwood plywood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I'm currently building a new en-suite & need to get the base for the floor down. It's an old barn but this part of the house was extended in the late 1970s so the floorboards are relatively flat & in good shape.

We've got a walk-in shower tray but the plumber had a hard time getting it level so the biggest gap between the floorboards and the bottom of the tray is 21mm. I want to run a nice bead of silicone between the LVT and the shower tray & don't want to have to use a quadrant or anything similar. I also don't want a noticeable height difference between the LVT and the carpet in the bedroom.

For that reason I think if I use 12mm hardwood plywood with 3-4mm of glue & LVT tile it should near enough bring me up to height nicely.

I can't find any flooring grade ply in that thickness so can I just use a hardwood plywood like this? It says 'Suitable for structural use in most moisture resistant and exterior applications'. It's an en-suite for my wife & I with a large walk-in shower tray & I'm fitting a decent inline extractor so the floor won't be getting wet at all, maybe just the odd drop here & there.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Daz, what does SP101 or FG1 offer that hardwood ply doesn't? I also can't find any of that stuff for sale near me! Cheshires in Notts won't sell to me as I'm not a floor layer & don't have an account.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Daz, it’s hugely appreciated!

When getting the ply down how much do I need to leave for expansion around the edges? I’ll be skirting most walls with tiles on anything that isn’t skirted so I can leave 3-4mm there.

I’ll have to go fairly tight to the shower tray though, maybe leave 2mm there?

& do I need to trim the bottom of the door frame out to under the door jam to allow for the thickness of the ply & LVT?

IMG_0344.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back