Glued worktop removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to remove a laminate worktop and have discovered that underneath my hob, the worktop has been glued to the carcass frame. The worktop has also had silicone applied to the cut edge. To make the hob cutout, a 1.5cm strip was left at the front edge and the sides were cut completely. Then the worktop has been stuck down to the 1.5cm strip at the front and along the top edges of the cupboards either side.

There were two screws through that 1.5cm strip up into the worktop (which I have removed) but now I need to work out how to separate the worktop from the carcasses without damaging the carcasses. We are only replacing the worktops so I will need the carcasses undamaged.

Any suggestions how to achieve this please?

Attachments

• IMG_3734.jpeg
    IMG_3734.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3736.jpeg
    IMG_3736.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3735.jpeg
    IMG_3735.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3737.jpeg
    IMG_3737.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Run a Stanley blade around to release any silicon , though under a hob it may just be cooking spills glueing things together . The section to front of unit is easily replaced so you could just cut it out and replace.

Edited original post to confirm that the worktop is glued down, silicone is just over the cut edge - to seal it presumably.

Sponsored Links
SOLVED - other half came home from work and with some extra muscle we were able to yank the worktop up and off the carcass. Small damage to the 1.5cm piece at the front but we will just replace that.

Happy days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back