Grading new lawn to even slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm digging over and re-seeding my lawn from scratch as it was in really poor condition (weeds, bumps, dips, waterlogging)

The existing lawn has a gentle slope up towards the back of the garden which I'm intending to keep as the fences have the same slope, and to level the lawn would raise the level nearest the house too much.

Is there a known way to ensure an even gradient from the front to back of the lawn, other than just raking it until it looks right by eye? E.g. 2% all the way front to back rather than 1% in the front half and 5% in the back half.

All I know is the starting height nearest the house and the length of the lawn - the ending height at the back of the garden isn't known because the existing lawn isn't evenly graded.

One option I could think of is to make a jig out of some 2x2 similar to a screed bar like this, and push / pull it horizontally which should knock down any high spots / highlight any low spots

1724609128911.png

Sponsored Links
what size is it, width x length

If you want a good lawn - get turf, you will really struggle with weeds for years if you seed it. I seeded mine and it was crap compared to a neighbour (with deep pockets) who laid turf

what size is it, width x length

If you want a good lawn - get turf, you will really struggle with weeds for years if you seed it. I seeded mine and it was crap compared to a neighbour (with deep pockets) who laid turf
It's approx 4m wide x 15m long
Funny because I normally hear the opposite, that seeding gives a better results. Bit of a done deal anyway as I've got the seed and don't have the money for turf! I think it can depend a lot on the mix of rye vs fescue in your seed / turf

It's approx 4m wide x 15m long
Funny because I normally hear the opposite, that seeding gives a better results. Bit of a done deal anyway as I've got the seed and don't have the money for turf! I think it can depend a lot on the mix of rye vs fescue in your seed / turf
this is the best time of year to do it. a lot less wild weed seeds sitting in the soil will germinate compared to the spring.

as for levelling it - I would just do it by eye. Have a long straight plank and just keep lying it on your raked soil and that should show up any obvious hollows.

bet of luck

Sponsored Links
Loads of videos on you tube of how to do it and get it level/even. Check out
Premier lawn care, lawnright care and daniel hibbert lawn expert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back