Gravels / red chips for subbase / MOT type1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could gravels and red chips be used as the foundation in the soil instead of MOT Type1?
MOT Type1 seems to have more edged stones larger size.

Gravels and red chips seem to be smaller stones with less edges, and I was wondering if they
might disappear deeper into the soil through time. But do they?

Sponsored Links
Expensive hardcore but yes you can use it.

Start with bigger bits and work your way up, golf ball sized bits at the bottom. Old bricks smashed into 8 pieces are a good first layer.

If you put the small stuff at the bottom then yes you will lose it into the soil.

If the soil is particularly soft then you might need to dig more out and make the sub base thicker.

Depends on if your building an extension, shed or chicken coop as to how much prep goes into it.

Type 1 has a range of sizes which ensure the material compacts. Chippings are generally single sized products which have no fines and won't easily compact. They stay more like a loose gravel. What are you intending to create the sub-base for?

Sponsored Links
Type 1 has a range of sizes which ensure the material compacts. Chippings are generally single sized products which have no fines and won't easily compact. They stay more like a loose gravel. What are you intending to create the sub-base for?

I may use it to put down a few more slabs say 4 or 5. For that ordering a ton of MOT1 sounds a bit unreasonable.
But I have about a half bag of 1 ton gravels / red chips left from the other uses. Was wondering it could be put down as the foundation instead of MOT Type1.

For individual paving slabs? Cheslea's point applies here, do you have any sand or cement left over you can chuck in there?
Type 1 is available in small bags, you don't need a ton.

Agree with this. For the sake of a few 25kg bags of Type 1 I don't think it is worth cutting corners.

Sure. I was just wondering if the leftover gravels / red chips could be used for subbase, if it would work ok without immediate obvious fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back