Greenstar 4000 Central heating running almost continually. Disliked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last May had a new Greenstar 4000 boiler fitted and only recently started using the heating. Once the set room temperature is reached the boiler modulates (presumably) and stays running for very long periods (many hours) but the circulating water is only luke warm (about 35 degrees) Any heating engineer would know that there is virtually no heat radiation at that lower temperature. I find this a great waste of gas and electricity and accomplishes very little. This may be the mode of operation that Worcester intended but they do not have to pay for the gas and electricity.
Question. I want to hard wire a conventual thermostat. Is this possible and what terminations do I use on the boiler control board? Any information, advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If the house has reached the set temp then the boiler should be shut down by the controls, what stat do you have just now? It shouldn't just keep running, modulating or not, if the house is at temp.

Of course it will take a conventional stat, wiring is in the manual. Do note though that the boiler has a room sealed case therefore it should really be a GSR engineer that does the work.

Many thanks for your reply Rob. The stat I'm using is the standard wireless one (presumably) that was supplied with the boiler. The installer did not give me any options when he supplied the boiler. If you think that the boiler is not operating correctly I may be able to get the installer back for them to check it out or to at least put my mind at rest one way or another.

I did look in the Installation Manual but could not find any refence to stat options or wiring diagram for possible hard wiring alternative. Many thank for the warning about room sealed. Maybe hear more from you.
All best Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back