Hallway light not illuminating and other light permanently on

RSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks – I’m trying to solve two problems on a hallway three light circuit, where Lamp 1 doesn’t switch on at all, one light works find, Lamp 3 is permanently on.

There are three light switches (with three core and earth wiring) and three ceiling lamps (see basic diagram), each having 2 core and earth cabling. Image attached of my basic wiring diagram.

Lamp 2 works fine (it’s switch on/off by any of the three switches).

Lamp 1 does not turn on at all (image below to show pendant wiring configuration) but has power (tested via voltage pen).

Lamp 3 has only one (2core and earth) cable and is permanently on. Heres he conundrum….

I recently replaced Lamp 1 with temporary basic ceiling rose (was an ornate gothic light fixture) and whilst I didn’t take any photos of the wiring (schoolboy error) I think there was a bridging wire.

What do I need to do to have all three lamps working as expected? Happy to post up answers to any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_6536.jpeg
    IMG_6536.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6391.jpeg
    IMG_6391.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Are there other switches controlling these 3 lights?

How many ceiling roses have you altered the wiring at?

Have you got a multimeter?

Voltage pens are no good for this work.
Are there two twin and earth cables at each lighting point?

Is there only 1 x 3 core and earth at each switch point?

Last edited:
Silly question but the light that doesn't work - have you tried another bulb in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back