Harrow council car park.

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today out with the grandchildren, went to Harrow shopping centre.
Parked in car park, first hour free, second hour £1.50.
Only in this case the machine card reader was not working.
Thinking something wrong, tried again to be presented with £3.00 charge.
Card presented again to get the message ‘card reader not working’

Returned to the car to see the expected parking ticket on the screen.
Had expected this to happen so had taken a picture of the screen with the camera.
No phone so camera came in handy.

Do I have a case or just pay the fine

Sponsored Links
You have evidence that there was no facility to pay.
Appeal on those basis.
They usually reject all appeals, regardless of any reason, so be prepared to go to the adjudicator.
Assuming this is a penalty charge notice from the council and not a ticket from a private parking company.

Their argument could be that if machine X was not working, why didn't you use machine Y?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Didnt you realise the machine you were trying to get a parking ticket from was a vending machine? :LOL:

• Thanks
If there was no other way to pay, you have a reasonable case to have the ticket cancelled.

• Thanks
You should appeal and be successful.

• Thanks
Their argument could be that if machine X was not working, why didn't you use machine Y?
What machine Y. If one is new to the place finding machine X is difficult enough. If they cannot be bothered maintaining the machines, not putting signs on the location of other machines ( YBBI. I would have gone to machine Y), I wonder if there is an ulterior motive to snare motorists

We have a council run multi storey, 3 floors in total including ground. It has one pay machine ... on the top floor. Granted this floor leads out to a shopping centre, however it's not great if you want to park at ground level and head along the street.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back