Have a pleasant flight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next time you relax on BA and place your lives in the hands of the flight deck and their land based supervisors, remind yourself they are about as good or bad as the rest of us when making decisions, perhaps we should have a flight management page ? ..... Ooooer! : -

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/03/07/news/faa.html

I think this may hinge on losing the engine just after takeoff -- not well into flight and at altitude, where one may expect to be well clear of FOD (Foreign Object Damage) -- and crew being unable to assess possible external damage in the vicinity of the engine.

:mad:

Sponsored Links
Reminds me of when I drove from Plymouth to Bodmin in a Vauxhall Chevette firing on only 3 cylinders.

Next thing those yankees will be creating about the pilots who regularly only use two engines to cross the Atlantic. So the plane only has two to start with and might be built in their country, but the whole matter sounds very "Greek" to me.

petewood said:
Reminds me of when I drove from Plymouth to Bodmin in a Vauxhall Chevette firing on only 3 cylinders.

And when I careered down the M63 (as it was then) in an allegro that thought it was a reliant robin...

Wow - that beat Alton Towers hands down!!!

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Next time you relax on BA and place your lives in the hands of the flight deck and their land based supervisors, remind yourself they are about as good or bad as the rest of us when making decisions, perhaps we should have a flight management page ? ..... Ooooer! : -

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/03/07/news/faa.html

I think this may hinge on losing the engine just after takeoff -- not well into flight and at altitude, where one may expect to be well clear of FOD (Foreign Object Damage) -- and crew being unable to assess possible external damage in the vicinity of the engine.

:mad:

FOD....Foreign Object Debris, at least it was when i done the course pip ;)

petewood said:

remind me of when i changed some spark plug lead a few years ago. for some reason it didnt have the power is usually had. turns out i mis-wired 2 of the leads

Yeah, when 1-3-4-2 becomes 3-1-4-2, for some strange reason the engine doth complain...

Must try it on my TDi...... :evil:

jasy said:
........FOD....Foreign Object Debris, at least it was when i done the course pip ;)
Yew might have done the course ... But I left the varm and spent 30 odd years playing wiv GT's ....
Now come on boys, damaging 'debris' comes in many forms from birds , 'brickbats to dust', and just about anything other than air ingested on the 'suck' phase ... But they could all produce, to varying degrees - FOD !! Which does tend to mess up the 'squeeze, bang and blow' cycle....

Aerospace applications FOD - foreign object damage

A typical jet engine, during the course of its operating life, will ingest foreign objects of various sorts. When hard particles such as stones, bits of tyre, rivet mandrels etc. cause damage to the internal workings of the engine, it is termed Foreign Object Damage, or FOD. The compressor blades are seen to incur most of the damage due to their position at the front of the engine and their high rotational speed. A small dent or nick to the leading edge of one of these blades can cause a stress concentration there that may develop into a fatigue crack and threaten the integrity of the blade and, therefore, the whole engine.
Hokay ?
;)

planenut said:
Next thing those yankees will be creating about the pilots who regularly only use two engines to cross the Atlantic. So the plane only has two to start with and might be built in their country, but the whole matter sounds very "Greek" to me.

Thing is, those engines tend not to be on the same wing !

"Wouldn't you prefer a pilot to be 100 percent sure of the safety of his/her aircraft without having to be worried about the prospect of paying compensation if the flight is delayed?"

As it turns out, this comment was unusually prescient, witness the piece in The Times today, headlined: "Flying faulty jumbo across Atlantic saves BA £100,000"...... :eek:
According to this report, a BA 747 Jumbo Jet, outbound from Los Angeles en route to London suffered a complete failure in one engine, very shortly after take-off when the aircraft was only 100 ft off the ground. Had the pilot elected to return to LA, however, his company would have had to pay over £100,000 in passenger compensation, so he decided to complete the 5,000-mile journey on three engines.
This incident apparently happened three days after the "denied boarding" directive came into force and Balpa, the British Air Line Pilots Association, has now warned that the legislation could result in pilots being pressured into taking greater risks for commercial reasons.
As to the details of the flight, the aircraft departed at 8.45pm on Saturday and the airline admitted that the delay would have been well over five hours if it had returned to Los Angeles. BA initially claimed that the engine had failed an hour into the flight. But the airline admitted yesterday that the problem had occurred a few seconds after take-off when the Boeing 747 was only 100ft above the ground......
.......The pilot realised as he flew over the Atlantic that he was running out of fuel and would not make it to Heathrow. He requested an emergency landing at Manchester and was met by four fire engines and thirty firefighters on the runway...
Another engine down and they would not have made it ... Yep, can fly on two not far and not long ... erosion of safety margin at best .. criminal at worst IMHO.
Ill thought out rules yet again ... where will it all end ?

;) [/b]

Sponsored Links
Back