HD TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen a film yesterday (Ghost Rider) in HD on a Samsung LCD 40 inch tv and I must say I was well impressed. THe effects were out of this world and the picture clarity is phenomenal.

Nicholas Cage goes around on a bike with his head on fire and its as if you can almost touch the flames. :eek:

Gonna put that on my list for Xmas.

Does anyone know when HD will be rolled out for all channels?

Sponsored Links
I found this at the good old BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbchd/what_is_hd.shtml

The future
BBC HD is not currently available on digital terrestrial (Freeview) because there is not enough bandwidth in the signal. Plans are in development that may make it possible to get HD on Freeview from around 2009, provided you upgrade to an HD Freeview box at that time.

I saw this re London about a month ago - check the bold type:
London could get Freeview HD in 2009
Wednesday, October 22 2008, 11:26 BST
By James Welsh

London and other key metropolitan areas could begin receiving Freeview HD services in time for the 2010 World Cup, it emerged today.

The BBC has applied to Ofcom for temporary frequency assignments that would enable it to launch the reconfigured version of multiplex B - which will carry high definition services from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 - far earlier in some areas than the current timetable would permit.

Under existing plans, only Granada, Wales, Scotland and the West Country will have access to Freeview HD services by 2010. Viewers in the ITV regions Central, Yorkshire, Anglia and Meridian would be able to get the services in 2011, with London, Tyne Tees and Ulster following in 2012.

The BBC's request, which Ofcom is now consulting on, would see "analogue interleaved spectrum" - that is, those frequencies that lie between those used for analogue TV broadcasts in particular areas - temporarily assigned to the corporation for the purposes of broadcasting the high definition multiplex in advance of the existing region-by-region reconfiguration timetable. If approved, the BBC would be able to launch new multiplex B services in large metro areas in late 2009 and early 2010.

Subject to approval, Ofcom said today it is minded to allow the BBC to use channel 31 (550-558 MHz) in London for a case study in advance of a launch in other cities. Crystal Palace would be the preferred transmitter site.

"Our analysis suggests that accepting the BBC’s request is likely to further facilitate the implementation of Ofcom and the Government’s policy to reorganise services on DTT and upgrade Multiplex B to use the more efficient DVB-T2 and MPEG-4 standards," the regulator said. "Further, that the use of this temporary frequency in the London region is likely to result in an earlier and larger market for the new services and related equipment. Such assignment is therefore expected to increase competition between receiver manufacturers resulting in more choice and lower prices for viewers. We also believe that the opportunity cost of assigning this frequency for the limited period proposed is relatively low and the benefits potentially high."

Channel 31 was previously used in London for a digital terrestrial HD trial in 2006. At that time, the test multiplex was transmitted at 5kW - by comparison, multiplex A transmits at 20kW. According to National Grid Wireless, it may be possible for the HD multiplex to transmit at a higher power level this time around, although concerns persist over co-channel interference to broadcasts from the Sandy Heath transmitter in Bedfordshire.

Ofcom's consultation, which will consider general comments and in particular those regarding the technical feasibility of the use of channel 31 in London, closes on November 19 and the regulator expects to issue its decision in December or early 2009

Sponsored Links
i watching tele was important to me and my family then i guess we would have hi-def.

but for the meantime.....

Sky's the way forward.

We have virgin cable's "HD" service with all of one channel- BBC preview - in HD, plus some overpriced PPV on demand films if and when the box feels like working. Like said above sky have a couple of dozen, and I wouldn't hold your breath over freesat or terrestrial to have anything more than a couple of HD channels for a while.

HD rocks :cool:

I love the nat geo programmes that show aerial shots of mountains etc.

Which programmes are currently being transmitted on HD :?:

As already stated Sky is the way forward with HD, there are a fair number of repeats though.

We have Sky plus and the HD so we can record movies in HD and watch at our leisure :cool:

Well worth the money IMHO.

My brother keeps going on about it - me and my mum can't see any difference................................. :oops:

I know - make that call to Specsavers.................. :D

I have a PC with a blu ray and HD player.

Linked to my Phillips HD TV with a HDMI cable, it is amazing.

I also have a 5:1 speaker system that does the sound justice. Though my blu ray player shipped with software that only supports 2 channel sound. I mean, what the hell is the point??

Have any of you regularly viewing Hd tv found that you have become desensitised (is that the right word) and no longer marvel at the quality or does it never fail to impress?

The first few times that you watch HD you really get the Wow factor as it is so good, ongoing you do get a little used to the quality. Some programmes seem sharper than others, I tend to notice it more in the National Geographic documentaries where some of the scenery is just amazing.

I still reckon it is good value for money and would not be without it now.

It doesn't spoil the enjoyment of non HD channels.

Bahco,
What some folk don't realise is that a Sky Minidish points at the Astra Satellite cluster that also sends out the Freesat broadcast (SD & HD) You don't need to realign the dish or buy a new one. (whether you still subscribe to Sky or not)

You can buy a Quad LNB from Screwfix for about £25, put this on the Sky Minidish arm, then you can plug one coax into a standard sky box (if you pay sky), and one into a new Freesat HD decoder and have two spare coaxes for other decoders or Sky+.

With Freesat you get all of the Free to air digital channels in SD and the FreeSat HD channels, but there aren't that many Free HD's at the moment, just some BBC & ITV channels, but that's bound to increase.

There is no subscription on Freesat SD/HD, but you will need a Decoder - some new TV's have built in DVB-"S" decoders, or you can buy just the decoder.(The "S" means satellite, opposed to DVB "T" which is Terrestrial. Humax are a supposedly good supplier and decoders cost about £130.

You can get a decoder with a built in Recorder that will record both the Freesat HD and SD programmes, but these have only just been launched and cost about £299.

here are some links:
http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=Home
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4413
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/4717
http://www.satcure.co.uk/

Oh lastly, if you buy a decoder and intend to hook it up to a disused Sky dish, don't get conned into buying an installation package - you don't need one.

Or.....you can pay Sky a fortune and get 25 channels now :rolleyes: :D

Aha, but how many people here have full-HD sound? ;)

I have me a big ole Onkyo with TrueHD and DTS-MA bitstream decoding (none of this LPCM malarkey, I gets metadata too).

However, despite having the full high-def sound system, I haven't bought a high-def telly yet. It was a choice of car insurance plus road tax, or 1080P panel plus BD player.

I have watched 1080P films on my 1080P PC monitor though, it's not quite as impressive as a 52" screen but still not bad.

As to the various HD sources:

1) Freeview - HD freeview already exists, people are already watching it... but it's a trial. If you have a PC with DTT receiver card you can watch it too, but you can't just go out and buy the box. Plus it's only BBC HD
2) Sky HD - seems to have the most HD content at the moment, but costs an arm and a leg.
3) Virgin HD - woefully under-channelled at the mo, but with cable carrying far greater bandwidth they will potentially carry the most HD material once it takes off.
4) FreeSat - probably the best option for anyone who hasn't already got Sky or Virgin and isn't that bothered about having 200 channels of poo.

I'm on Virgin V+. Having had Sky I prefer it to Sky+ because the user interface works better and the on-demand stuff is lightyears ahead of the few hours of telly Sky liked to drop on the hard-disk overnight.

Sponsored Links
Back