Heat Pumps - Levelling feet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have an air source heat pump installed, a Logic Air Monobloc. I need to make a concrete slab with drainage for it to sit on.

I've read the installation manual and spec sheets but can't find details of how it bolts down. I understand the installer will be putting it on rubber blocks.

I want to make the concrete slope slightly, away from the building behind at about 1:80, to shed rain and condensate into a drainage channel.

My question is... do heat pumps normally have a means of being levelled, e.g. adjustable bolts? Or do they just bolt down flat, in which case would it be a problem if it tips forwards slightly, or can they be packed with washers?

Sponsored Links
I've Googled for the Installer Manual and you'll find it needs to be level.
Also it's recommended to have gravel underneath and a soakaway or drain to one for the condensate.

3.3.3 and 3.3.4

EDIT such items are typically held in place by gravity although bolted to alloy runner channels in the blocks. If there was a danger of tipping/being blown over the Installer would do something else.

EDIT2 Discuss with your Installer!! They will know what will be acceptable to them and their acceptance of your proposed base is the important bit!

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I realise the default is usually gravel. But I'm concerned about dumping water next to the house, as it's a solid floor that I don't think has a damp proof membrane.

It has an option for piping the condensate, but that still leaves the rain to collect. A level concrete slab would just become a green slimy mess within a year.

I'll try asking the manufacturer.

I haven't asked the manufacturer but I know the answer is that the base should be level. This goes against all standards for paving!

Unless anyone's got any better ideas I'm going to slope it and buy one of these...

This has loads of adjustment in all four feet, so I can do what I like with the base then make the stand precisely level.

The advantage is that I can then make the slab the same height as the surroundings, it doesn't need to be 5cm higher as the stand will make it lots higher. It definitely won't get covered by a snowdrift or immersed in ice on one of these. Also it won't get splashed from the rain or condensate landing around it.

It looks a bit industrial, but so does an air pump. It's round the back of the house so doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What does your Installer suggest/recommend?

The HP base support is typically 2 x 600mm rubber feet around 150mm wide and only that bit actually needs to be levelled ;) ... They are rubber to reduce any vibration into the building surfaces...

Beware that in curing one perceived problem you aren't creating a different one.

That Sterr stand has rubber feet under the heat pump, it's designed for the job. Think higher is probably better, keep it well out of the way of blowing leaves and muck, mice, snow, ice etc. Possibly also better for airflow.

Will assemble it the right size for the heat pump then make the slab the right size for it.

Many just plonk it on the patio. Probably not the best idea, but many would object to that Sterr stand as it does look pretty industrial.

I'm assuming that the installer would want it done in the easiest way how they normally do it, probably a couple of slabs or gravel, not necessarily the best way.

I'll surprise them with the stand on a concrete base with a drain, already fitted with the bolts ready for the exact dimensions of the heat pump.

Hopefully they won't run away screaming.

Last edited:
Y
I'm assuming that the installer would

Hopefully they won't run away screaming.
Shirley you can talk to them beforehand to avoid such presumptions and potential annoyances and them throwing that stand away in favour of their own rubber feet ...

I'm of the mind that it's better to say Sorry than Please!

I'm not yet in touch with the actual installer, there are various layers of bureaucracy between me and the bloke with the spanners, so I couldn't have a sensible conversation with anyone if I wanted to. But I'd expect them to want to do it the easiest way, or however they normally do them.

But I know the make and model, and the spec sheet gives the dimensions of the mounting points. It weighs 120kg and the stand is rated up to 500kg.

Just an update to say the Sterr heat pump rack has arrived and it's an amazing bit of kit. You can't appreciate from the photos just how solid it is, all stainless, welded corners, totally adjustable in all directions. An absolute bargain for just over £100 delivered.

So I can now make a surface that drains AND have a level heat pump AND have it higher off the ground, which is bound to be good for airflow and for keeping the muck and mice away.

The mounting standoffs are 30mm wide solid rubber anti-vibration rubber lumps with an M8 thread sticking out of each end. They look tiny in the photos, they're not.

It doesn't include nuts for the heat pump mounts, I've ordered various stainless M8 nyloc nuts, 30mm washers, spring washers and M10 stainless expanding bolts from ebay for £16. So that's about £120 all-in including everything to bolt the heat pump down and bolt it down to the concrete,

A few mixer loads later...

Base.jpg

Base will be adjusted, levelled and bolted down once I know the exact make and model. Got a central boss for direct connection of a drain pipe, plus the channel for anything that dribbles off the edges and the rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back