Heating areas of house with no heat source

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our kitchen and part of an extension has no heat source. When I have the heating on I tend to isolate these areas as much as possible by keeping the doors shut to them. Does it make sense to keep them cold or should I use the heat from other rooms to heat them? I.e. leave doors open from the heated rooms. It's similar to whether you should heat unused rooms I suppose but different because they can only be heated by adjacent rooms radiators. This is a problem in itself as the radiators are only designed to heat the one room not adjacent ones as well.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Really depends on how often the rooms are used and how much of an issue it is to you to go into cold spaces. Every time the doors to these areas are opened the heat will naturally migrate to the colder space.

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is off our lounge/diner so we're in and out of there frequently. It has a glazed internal door so poor for insulation I assume anyway. The unheated extension area is really just a access corridor (approx 3m x 1.5m) to a downstairs bathroom but it has a door to isolate it from the bathroom and rest of house. Would probably be easy to heat this space by leaving bathroom door open and consider this part of the bathroom although the bathroom only has a towel rail for heating..

If/when we remodel the old kitchen if space allows adding a radiator there would be a good idea I think.

I suspect if we try to heat kitchen with lounge/diner heating this area will feel colder as it will effectively be a bigger space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back