heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help someone!

I have the usual indirect heating system, with a 3 year old boiler.
Started with rads not heating downstairs.
Thought it was the pump, changed it. no joy!
Thought there might be sludge in pipes, so put treatment in, and ran it. NOw boiler overheats at barely over minimum setting.

Took rads off downstairs and flushed through with hosepipe.
Tried again, still no joy.

Have checked MXVs, seem to be OK.

If I had a blockage, I wouldn't have expected ALL downstairs rads to stay cold??

Help someone B4 I have to call a very expensive plumber! :

Sponsored Links
Its better to find out what the problem is before you change things!

You appear to have no flow!

You seem to imagine that your ( unspecified ) treatment totally unblocked your system ( in a few hours i expect ).

The reality is that you seem to have a serious blockage that you have probably made worse!

I would suggest you start with a bucket test on the pump ( See FAQ 52 I think ).

Why do you want to specifically call an "expensive plumber" ? Surely a normal plumber would be better and I would suggest that a heating engineer would be even better!

Tony

Fair point re changing pump, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

The treatment I used was 'No Nonsense' from Screwfix. I left it in there about two weeks, but only running for about a week as I turned the system off due to boiler keep overheating.

Can't find link anywhere on site to FAQs, or am I going mad?

Sponsored Links
A professional would use a product by a leading manufacturer! Fernox or Sentinel and to keep Keith happy, Kamco.

You probably would have needed DS40 if your rads and valves were in good condition.

Double click on Plumbing and Central heating and you will get a list showing FAQs near the top!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back