Help! Bathroom radiator not coming on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning. It’s that time of year when the central heating is turned on for the first time in month and inevitably problems emerge.

Initially the bathroom heater was just slow to heat but it’s now stopped completely. It doesn’t have TVRs though you can turn the valves to turn the water off and on.

I’ve turned the valve on the left clockwise and anticlockwise (no effect) but if I turn the one on the right anticlockwise black water immediately leaks out so i have left it turned clockwise to the max.

I’m thinking that sludge has blocked the radiator and It needs to be removed and washed through.

This radiator has not been removed since installled around 16 years ago. The boiler was installed 5 years ago and the system would have had a power wash.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated before I call a plumber out.

Attachments

• IMG_9546.jpeg
    IMG_9546.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9547.jpeg
    IMG_9547.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 5
Sponsored Links
If you've turned the valve clockwise, you will have turned it off.
Some of those valves can be repaired when they leak, if not, you'll have to replace it/them.
Have you tried opening it fully? Sometimes they stop leaking when fully open.

Not yet. I dare not open it but if I get a container under it then I can see what happens.

Am in contact with a Checkatrade plumber who’s saying power flush (£800!) which sounds like a default answer but expensive compared to others. He might be right- it’s been 5 years since installation

Find another plumber who will change the valves for you. Even if the system needs a powerflush (which is unlikely if the rest of it works ok) those valves will need to be repaired/replaced first anyway.

Sponsored Links
Am in contact with a Checkatrade plumber who’s saying power flush (£800!) which sounds like a default answer but expensive compared to others. He might be right- it’s been 5 years since installation

Says it all - get a proper plumber to look at it/replace the valve.

I must say I’m not the biggest fan of Checkatrade. Guessing you’re not too?

I must say I’m not the biggest fan of Checkatrade. Guessing you’re not too?
On the whole, no, but there are some good people on there. I wouldn't want to tar everyone with the same brush but it is a bit too pot luckish.
Best thing is to try and get recommendations from neighbours, friends etc.

Age has little bearing on the need for a power flush. My system was installed in 1985, it has never had, or needed a power flush, but then it is looked after by me, and the inhibitor kept topped up. In the years since installation, it has only been drained down twice, during the installation of new boilers.

Power flushing, is a nice little earner. Did your Checkatrade plumber attend site to diagnose the issue, or was it a telephone diagnosis? The problem with Checkatrade and similar, is that they claim to vet their people. Their vetting is a matter of the tradesman paying them a fee for the lead. The more trades they have the site, the more money the site makes. Poor reviews are deleted from the site, and few homeowners are skilled enough to tell a good job, from a bad one. Almost anyone, can claim to be a skilled joiner, roofer, plumber, or electrician, and set up an account with them.

If you take the time to read up on some problem posts on here, many of the issues are a result of involving someone from the likes of the Checkatrade site, to do work.

Not the best rad valves, they are prone to leaking. That being said, chances are it's just the gland that's passing because it hasn't been used in so long and either the O rings have failed or the gland nut needs tweaked.

As suggested, Checkatrade is a hit or miss affair and you are probably getting replies rom the ones that don't want a small valve change job but suggest the default powerflush, on the off chance you'll actually say yes, then it's quids in. As suggested they are a mixed bag on there from excellent to excrement but it certainly is pot luck by the looks of it.

Also as suggested, the valve(s) needs replaced regardless and if the other rads are ok then it chances are the system's ok and not be sludged up. When you bleed the rads, what colour is the system water that comes out , get half a whisky tumbler full if you can. (check the system pressure afterwards and top up as necessary)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back