HELP I'm at my wits end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm at my wits end with this one I've removed a light from the front of the house and wanted to put it at the back of the house it's a pir sensor light but we don't have it wired up we just use it as a normal on off light from the wall switch at the front it worked fine but I'm having issues hooking it up to the back I've connected brown to brown n to n and it makes a click noise when I turn it on at the switch now the actual light fixture has 2 blue wires and a brown and by the looks of it one of the blue is meant to be the live I've tried all combinations of the wiring but I've come up stuck so any help would be appreciated
1000034495.jpg
1000034497.jpg
1000034498.jpg

Sponsored Links
No there's no need to hook it up to the switch as it's the same set up that was out the front of the house just a bit baffled as to why the light is not turning on

Where would I even connect the earth cables to

Sponsored Links
I would guess that the click is the PIR driving a relay during its settling period on first power.

I would doubt very much that either of the blue are meant to be live connections.
No there's no need to hook it up to the switch as it's the same set up that was out the front of the house just a bit baffled as to why the light is not turning on
I am just wanting to confirm which colour wire is which. I would assume that grey is N and black is SL but it is an assumption without knowing for certain.

Lamp information might be useful as I have a lamp that does not specifically have an over-ride connection but it is possible if you know what you are looking at.

Where would I even connect the earth cables to
You will need a separate terminal block for the earths from the cable and backplate

Grey is neutral and yes black is sl but was not connected to old lamp nor was it connected to this one out the front

I am finding it hard to understand how it could have worked as a straightforward on / off lamp with the wiring available internally. My best guess would be that the fitting has a relay that switches the L to the lamp and the two blues are permannent N to the fitting and lamp. So I would connect the blues togther and L or SL to the brown. See if that works. I guess that the switchhing of the supply to the fitting causes the timer to start giving the impression of being switched by the internal house switch

I suspect that putting L onto a N may have caused damage

So the 2 blues that are attached to the unit go in to the terminal block together and on opposite end I put the n?

Good. Just pop the earths into the spare way and the connections to the L / N could do with a little tidy to remove the exposed copper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back