Help me understand my heating system please.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My heat source is an oil boiler and it is a wet heating system. I thought it was an open vented system as there is a feed and expansion tank in the attic. However, on closer inspection, the F+E tank is not actually connected to anything. So it looks like it was at some point it was changed to a sealed system? There is a small expansion vessel in the attic also.

Does this sound likely? (I ask as everything in this house is quite old/basic, and I find it hard to believe money was spent on such change! I assume it wouldn't be cheap).

In addition, the hot water cylinder is vented, so it that normal to have a sealed CH system and vented hot water cylinder? And does this mean that the water is directly heated by the boiler, rather than via a heat exchanger in the cylinder?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hmm, just checking the boiler manual, and it says it's not designed for a direct cylinder. So I would assume in that case it needs an F+E tank?

Sealed / pressurised heating system with vented hot water cylinder is common. The cylinder ,if it is heated by the boiler, would have a coil inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back