help needed by lone female!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have a worcester combi boiler that gives lots of hot water but no heating!!!
Started making load banging noises so i turned it off.
I am able to get it to ignite by pushing the overheat reset switch, but after 1 min it makes strange noises and cuts out again. I thought the pump? but I had a plumber out who said it was my circuit board £230 for a new one!!! am I being ripped off? The boiler is only 3 years old.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know, but get in touch with worcester, they do a scheme where you pay £160 for the engineer and any parts used during the day. It may be cheaper to diagnose and replace the faulty part, but if things don't go smoothly, Worcester's scheme is worth it.

Thanks for that I will contact them tomorrow.

Annie :D

You may be better off getting a heating engineer rather than a CORGI plumber, they should have more experience with this sort of appliance. Saying this, the plumber may be right. I've come across this fault before where a relay has failed on the PCB, but only when CH is on.
There are some Worcester combis that have two pumps, one for HW one for CH, it may be that you have one of these and it is just a faulty pump. Often very easy to do a temporary repair followed by a replacement. The pumps on these boilers are push fit so shld take no more than 45mins (unless there are problems). The PCB supplies power to both pumps, so again it may be the PCB. The boiler model would be useful.
BTW, have you made sure the system pressure is about 1bar?

Sponsored Links
Plumber, heating engineer, used interchangeably in my experience so not necessarily significant. Me? I'm an electronics engineer, but who cares, people are cold when I get there and warm when I leave. :)

As you say Oilman its the skill and quallifications that count not the title. Worcester charge £160 excluding the heat exchangers £210 with. not Worth the gamble of an unknown eng. no worcester board costs £240 i pay around £75 on avv upto £125

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back