Help needed to operate central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new house and I think the central heating wiring may have been done incorrectly . I did like to have an idea of the issue before, I engage with an electrician or engineer .

The issues that I have are the Twin channel programmer does not seem to have a thermostat . I currently have the hot water set to come on for 1hr daily and this heats up the hot water in the cylinder. But for the radiators upstairs I don't seem to have a thermostat for this. Can the heatmiser thermostat control this too ?

I can see that I have heatmiser thermostats which fire up the boiler. But I believe these are for the underfloor heating zones downstairs.

I will ideally like to have a zone for the radiators upstairs , separate zone for the UFH and 1 for the hot water.

I currently have 3 valves connected up , but the radiator still gets hot when the boiler comes on for 1hr to heat up the water in the cylinder.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.04 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.04 (1).jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 68
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.04 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.04 (2).jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.04 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.04 (1).jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 58
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.03 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.39.03 (1).jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 56
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03 (5).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03 (5).jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 60
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03 (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03 (4).jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 73
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.03.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 72
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.04 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-01 at 17.53.04 (2).jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
If you have three valves, you prob have 3 zones. HW, UFH and upstairs rads. Identify the the valve which heats the upstairs rads by observing which pipes get hot when the HW is on. Then trace the wiring from that valve to see what operates the valve. This may require looking inside a connection box so make sure the power is off or get an electrician. You will also need to look up the valve manual to see which coloured wire opens the valve.

Sponsored Links
Can the heatmiser thermostat control this too ?
Yes the Heatmiser UH8-RF V2 is an all in one wiring centre, that can be configured to provide U/F heating, separate radiator zones and Hot water control.

One clue to whether it's operating correctly, would be if one of the remote thermostats switches on the heating, but the U/F heating pump remains off; that would be the stat for the upstairs rad zone.

Although it's capable of performing these functions, whether it has been configured correctly would be another matter (i.e. even if both remote stats were currently and bizarrely controlling the UFH, they are configurable in software to control a rad zone instead).

Good luck with your investigations!

More information here...

Yes the Heatmiser UH8-RF V2 is an all in one wiring centre, that can be configured to provide U/F heating, separate radiator zones and Hot water control.

One clue to whether it's operating correctly, would be if one of the remote thermostats switches on the heating, but the U/F heating pump remains off; that would be the stat for the upstairs rad zone.

Although it's capable of performing these functions, whether it has been configured correctly would be another matter (i.e. even if both remote stats were currently and bizarrely controlling the UFH, they are configurable in software to control a rad zone instead).

Good luck with your investigations!

More information here...

Thanks for this, the radiators upstairs come one as soon as the programmer is set to switch on. Any clue how to have this fixed.

Do you reckon that I should just have the programmer out and use just the Heatmiser wiring centre.

Thanks for this, the radiators upstairs come one as soon as the programmer is set to switch on. Any clue how to have this fixed.

Do you reckon that I should just have the programmer out and use just the Heatmiser wiring centre.
This may be where things are being mixed up.
I may be mistaken, but it looks as if you have neoAir V3's - these are smart thermostats and programmers.

If (and this is a big if), the UH8-RF V2 is looking after both the rads, and UFH, the programmer should be left permanently on - it is then up to the programmes (and set temperatures) held within the neoAirs, to tell the heating when to turn on and off.

When you turn the programmer on, do any of the LEDs on the UH8 illuminate?
Have you investigated any of the functions of the neoAir, to see if there are any stored programmes that would come into operation, the moment the UH8 was turned on?

Attached is the neoAir manual that may give you some more clues.

The only other thing I'll mention (and there is a little guesswork here), is that all the wires from the UH8, the programmer, the tank stat and the valves etc. can be traced to the wiring centre mounted on the tank, that is except for two, that appear to go around the right side of the tank.
I would expect one of these to be for power - if the other connects to the boiler, then we can be fairly confident that all your controls are in view here, and it becomes more likely that the UH8 is in control.

Attachments

• neoAirV31.2 (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
And of course the installers didn't complete the zone indicator label on the top of the controller , nor marked up the loops.

Do you have only one programmable thermostat (PT)? If there are at least 2 zones (2 port valves), you should have at least 2 PT's.

With the UH8 - zone 8 would normally be used to control the 2 port that manages the rad zone, presume that light is on when the programmer is calling?

Have you bought the property or is it rented? With the former get in touch with the previous owner, there should have been a whole load of paperwork and manuals for that system made available as part of the sale, if it's the latter then get in touch with the landlord and get them to sort it out ASAP.

Worst case is you need a pro in who's experienced with UFH and multi zoned system to go through it all and write everything down, link to the manuals, shouldn't be that complicated for them though.

'Thermostats' have been mentioned throughout and at least 2 neoAirs are visible in image 7/8!
OK ... ok ... easy now!

I didn't open the pic with the neo in it, so didn't see the bottom corner of the 2nd stat in the pic. Thermostats were only mentioned once by the OP but they also mentioned before that
But for the radiators upstairs I don't seem to have a thermostat for this
Singular ..... but even then, if it wasn't correct ... please, there's absolutely no need to exclaim like that.

there's absolutely no need to exclaim like that.
I could see how it could be misinterpreted, but I really wasn't getting at you, it was meant to be a happy exclamation mark - as in "see that teeny little corner of another neoAir, poking it's face into the corner of the image!' - I'll use a smiley next time :)

I could see how it could be misinterpreted, but I really wasn't getting at you, it was meant to be a happy exclamation mark - I'll use a smiley next time :)
No bother at all - if one thing has taught me with being on this site for so long, sometimes I wonder why, is that misinterpretations happen all the time. Directed replies are like text's too and can also be mis construed.

No harm, no foul (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back