help- plumbing exam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear readers,
I'd like the answer to questions I'm stuck on please.
Q1, How should an incoming cold water service be checked for suitability?
Q2, What type of fitting should be used to connect a copper tube to a large diameter PVCu main?
Q3, To what pressure should buried piping be tested? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Christ mate, if your looking to 'qualify' by getting your exam answers here, I hope your not setting up in my area afterwards.......
But maybe I could follow you around and increase my own income !

doblo7 said:
Q1, How should an incoming cold water service be checked for suitability?
Should be 25mm mdpe
Q2, What type of fitting should be used to connect a copper tube to a large diameter PVCu main?
Stoptap with an insert for the pvc sideQ3, To what pressure should buried piping be tested? :rolleyes:
3 bar but only a guess

Let me know if I have passed :oops:

Sorry mate you failed miserably!
You need some books. "Hot and cold water supply" published by the BSI is quite good, and avery plumber needs the Guide to the Water supply (water fittings) Regulations.

The size of the pipe depends on the load. The "tap" types have to be dead right, you have to know what a swan neck is, and a communication pipe, and whether you need a double check valve or an RPZ valve... and how deep it should be buried, marked etc etc.

It's surprising that any plumber or plumbing student should not at least know where to look to find the testing requirements. The answer is simple but you'll have to do it for homework!

Sponsored Links
:D Thanks for all those who replied, all comments have been taken on board. 2 bar is the answer for testing buried pipework. Unfortunately being unemployed I dont have the funds to go out and buy all the books I should have, but hey maybe some generous soul out there will donate a copy.
Thanks again, I'm learning a lot just reading the answers to other peoples plumbing problems. ;)

2 bar - who told you that. Rubbish! 1.5 times the likely max working pressure of the pipes, for 1 hour. BS6700 I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back