Help! Tuya thermostat wiring for a combi gas boiler - changing from honeywell thermostat to Tuya Thermostat 723 - photos attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know simply ther live wire being brown will go to L and Blue wire from the honeywell will go to the Tuya N (neutral) point. However i am confused where to connect the ground wiring for the tuya thermostat. Safety's most important i assume in electronics/electrical. Help please thank you!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.35.53 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.35.53 PM (1).jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.35.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.35.53 PM.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 51
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.39.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.39.35 PM.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.41.36 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-07-21 at 2.41.36 PM.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
1721576732909.png
It is class II so does not need an earth.
1721576898756.png
The green and yellow wire is not earth, it is line out, rather naughty, this has not been permitted for my lifetime, and I am 72, if it were me, I would also be very naughty and wrap it in brown tape or sleeve and put it in terminal 4 and link 1 and 3, but that is not how it should be done.

You would need to run a new 4 core cable to replace the 3 core, and the rules say
A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.
which since there is no terminal to terminate the earth to, is a bit of a problem, I suppose if a metal back-box then that will have a terminal? The original installer should be taken to court and made an example of, however the courts would be overwhelmed with plumbers.

Now this Tuya thermostat has already caused confusion...
, I would also be very naughty and wrap it in brown tape or sleeve and put it in terminal 4 and link 1 and 3
Be careful here Eric, that would cause a big bang!
Terminal 3 on the Tuya might be labeled COM, but it is also labelled (N) - it is a Neutral out to power actuators.
The terminals to use are the potential-free contacts 6 and 7.

However i am confused where to connect the ground wiring for the tuya thermostat.
Do you have a wiring diagram on the rear of the Honeywell cover - something like?...

1721579459440.png

Be careful here Eric, that would cause a big bang!
Terminal 3 on the Tuya might be labeled COM, but it is also labelled (N) - it is a Neutral out to power actuators.
The terminals to use are the potential-free contacts 6 and 7.
Thank-you, I had not realised this, I had just used the picture shown. cymru am byth

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember seeing three versions, and as @RandomGrinch says, they had different aims, and the timescale is important, I expect my oil fired central heating to heat a room from eco (17ºC) to comfort (20ºC) within an hour, but with under floor heating (UFH) it may take 4 hours.

So there is no one thermostat suits all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back