Help with a Scantronic 9450 Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I could do with some assistance regarding an old Scantronic 9450 alarm that we have in our property (manual here: https://www.alarmsyork.co.uk/members_area/scantronic_alarms/9450.pdf).

We had the alarm serviced about a year ago. The engineer said that it would require a new battery before too long - I've not yet got around to replacing it.

Typically we are away at the moment and our neighbours have had to go into the property a few times to reset the alarm as it is randomly going off multiple times (without anything apparently setting it off). It hasn't been off in the 2 years we've been in the property!

Is it possible for a dodgy battery to cause this alarm to set it off? If so, I'd like to order a replacement battery so it's ready for when we get back. I think this is the right battery - is that right: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334507557131?itmmeta=01J4PN7ZDEMTP8V2G8NA2BG1KR&hash=item4de234410b:g:DCwAAOSwFSti1pHR&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0LHRMq9W5wxBi3l4Jmqjqo9zHn1wJtOj59RMDu6OmnRFhJxVd6smIkaz5iDQnIOpqOaoLsgsFxHC6e4WYHGfu%2FiEwUd9WPHmQvZYJ5fyAlO8AaMgHbomBGj1SKuIfUbb98wTeQ4KnZqoi36WSGGblU7Lv0cOq3xYKDREGF5L7q5cvN1J3CQwOLGi%2FD2CVVkIVvzZlS8HVThHEZF9GJbMeol9v1j4kHaJiTzEYKghOsVtcu%2FkRyGULqIweD%2FFU1r2gxjlhL0%2FF0nX64Kl%2BSj2CZs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR-r2n9WlZA

Any other thoughts welcome!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes, or a loss of supply in some cases as the battery won't then charge. In fact there may be 2 batteries one in the controller and one in the sounder with an anti tamper device.

It will (should) have a 12v SLA battery in the control panel say 2.0 AH or thereabouts and a 8.4v Nicad battery in tge external bellbox. Some so called alarm fitters save money by not fitting the battery and any power glitch can cause fakse alarms. Preferably the control panel battery should be capable of running the system in an 8 hr power cut, in rural areas far longer. Power cuts of over 4 hrs are fairly rare in most urban areas but there is always a chance of a cut for a few seconds or a few mins now and then and that can beggar some controls if battery not present or not reliable. Most makes guaranteed for 12 months and recommended changed every 5 years, they often go for 7years if the control panel and conditions favour it but by sticking to 5 years max then problems are few.

It could always be a fault on the panel or wiring or detectors or tge bellbox self activator

It will (should) have a 12v SLA battery in the control panel say 2.0 AH or thereabouts and a 8.4v Nicad battery in tge external bellbox. Some so called alarm fitters save money by not fitting the battery and any power glitch can cause fakse alarms. Preferably the control panel battery should be capable of running the system in an 8 hr power cut, in rural areas far longer. Power cuts of over 4 hrs are fairly rare in most urban areas but there is always a chance of a cut for a few seconds or a few mins now and then and that can beggar some controls if battery not present or not reliable. Most makes guaranteed for 12 months and recommended changed every 5 years, they often go for 7years if the control panel and conditions favour it but by sticking to 5 years max then problems are few.

It could always be a fault on the panel or wiring or detectors or tge bellbox self activator
[/QUOTE

LOL….REALLY …some alarm fitters save money by not fitting the bellbox battery ….all bellboxes have come complete with a battery since the early nineties…..
Best you move this to the alarm forum …
By the way the 9450 came out in 1988 and was replaced around 1993 with the 9448 ….

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - much appreciated.
I've ordered a Yuasa 12V 2.1Ah battery so will see if that improves things.

I realise this is a very old alarm - we inherited it when we moved in a couple of years ago. I'm not sure about the battery in the external bellbox. The unit was serviced about 18 months ago and at the time the engineer said it'd need a new battery in the main unit before too long. So hoping this fixes it. If not then it's probably time for a service anyway.....

In time we'll probably replace the unit but for now want to see if we can get the current issue fixed.

You need to make note what LED is showing after an activation, if it’s going off ..when not set it’s either a tamper panic or fire alarm activation ….one other point is that these panels don’t have fuses, they have poly switch ( self resetting fuse ) so corrosion/ water in the bellbox can shut these down and cause tamper issue ….

You need to make note what LED is showing after an activation, if it’s going off ..when not set it’s either a tamper panic or fire alarm activation ….one other point is that these panels don’t have fuses, they have poly switch ( self resetting fuse ) so corrosion/ water in the bellbox can shut these down and cause tamper issue ….
Great thank you. Will do.
Silly question, but if I don't activate the alarm then am I right in saying it won't / shouldn't go off? It has been going off when it has been activated.....but not when it hasn't. Is that right?

Find out what LED is lit …BEFORE ….resetting the panel….then take it from there…

Years ago I did fit a few Scantronic 9600 and 9800 which had more features then I opted for Gardtech 800/816 etc etc, you can`t get them now either , memories were bigger so you could read thru them later on (or at least an engineer could), I`m not sure what limited memory your particular unit had though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back