Help with bricking up doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after a bit of advice with blocking up a doorway as shown in the pictures.

1) Do i need to remove the concrete sill here, i cant be certain but it looks like the concrete has been shaped to fit the door, and its about a brick deep. The next door along (kitchen) has two courses under the door - this door (integral garage) is the same height, but looks to be one course, and then the second course is this concrete. Would that be right?

2) I'm planning on matching what is there currently, that is 4inch Celcon blocks - inner and outer. Do i have to open up the cavity here to eliminate cold bridging, or is this mitigated by using thermal blocks (or worse?!)

I am reluctant to start cutting out the cavity closing blocks, i was hoping to just use wall ties to tie it in. Outside will be roughcast.

Thanks, need more pictures showing more information, just ask.

Sponsored Links
I'd rip out step.
Drill holes to vent cavity.
Dpc same height as there. Should be able to see it..

thanks, will remove the step etc and see whats left - i suppose i need to do a course of engineering bricks first, then DPC on top to match the other side.

RE: Drilling holes. How big/many? And, whats the point in venting the cavity - it has had cavity insulation fitted, blown in i assume so would be full fill? Its the weird white stuff, not sure how best to describe it - no weight to it at all, like a foam- is it hazardous?

Sounds like foam.

Maybe no need to make vent holes but playing it safe.
Cavities have vents so that's my thinking.
50mm holes I guess but if you think it's not required then don't bother.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, sounds like foam then - would this all come out if i open up the cavity? How would i then fill the 'new' cavity that i create? Full fill batts, are they ok with the other insulation type?

How would i open up the cavity - if you look at the pics you can hopefully see that the wall to one side runs into this wall, so its at 90deg and its in places a full block closing the gap - if that makes sense? Am i going to have problems with the leaves separating if i open/start cutting blocks up?

Break out the full block closing the gap, leaving you with toothing to key into when laying the new blocks. Full fill insulate as you go. Use cavity wall ties like you would any other cavity wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back