Help with shed electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.....as i'm unable to get in my loft i've found someone who could feed a cable to my new CU which in turn will lead to a Garage CU in my shed.

Questions are,

I have been told that rather than run one complete cable to the shed it should be cut and a 30Amp 4 terminal junction box used to re-connect it so that the work can be tested if need be at a later date, regulations i've been told :confused:

Originally i was going to use a spur for the power outlet but can now use the CU which will increase the length of the cable from 5m to around 20m, is it still OK to use 2.5mm core cable or should i use 4.0mm.

Does the length of cable used outside need to be armoured, or could i get away with using the heavy duty type as used on building sites, the cable to the shed will not run on the ground but will be up out out of harms way.

Many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
I would allways run one length of cable rather than joint, but it depends on what grade of cable etc, where is running, ie low smoke etc..

You dont specify load, so I would instantly say 4.0mm rather than 2.5..

Bigger is better :)

Ill let the others explain, however I would like to see suspended 6.00mm armoured cable.. building site cable, do you mean artic grade?

if so, no you cant use it as it has no mechanical protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back