High pressure shower fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In new house have a main bathroom with ensuites situated either side of it. For extraction was going to use 3 ceiling fans, ducted together, out to 1 soffit vent.

Now seen on TLC high pressure in line shower fans, one capable of above.

Has anyone used these or similar. My concern is the noise aspect.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes. I've used a soler & palau TD160 from TLC.

SLTD160.

The **** really hits the fan when you use one of these....

noise? Audible but not dreadful. I installed one in an en-suite, and I've had no complaints. I did mount it on rubber feet, though.

Thanks SS. Only trouble is....the way i have wired thinking about it.
I allowed for switch/pull switches to bring on light plus timer fan in each bathroom.

To have 1 fan between 3 would have to install extra pull cords to separate fan from lights,otherwise lights coming on everywhere!!! and still then would have back feed onto other pull switches!!! Unless i put relays in to stop this

I will use 3 celing fans :evil:

Sponsored Links
what about back feed to other pill switches. Double pole switches, have to change wiring, floor to come up. Thanks for info Lec

If noise is a concern as you said it may be earlier, then you may not want to have it coming on every time the lights are on. Just taken mine off the light switch for same reason, thought I could live with it at first but after a few weeks, it got to me when not using shower and no need for fan.

If you fit a TP iso, as you should, then you can switch the fan off via that to leave the light running on its own.

Yeah, if you use one fan for 3 b'rooms, you would need some kind of relay or interlock, but why use one fan for 3 rooms??

selfbuildy said:
what about back feed to other pill switches. Double pole switches, have to change wiring, floor to come up. Thanks for info Lec

have each fan feed going into a contactor/relay. have fan wired thru contactors so when 1 or more is on, fan comes on

Too complicated.

Use double pole, one pole switches individual light, and the other pole switches the fan - no back feed.

We have done this numerous times in commercial apps where they spec a huge fan for the ladies and gents.

securespark said:
Yeah, if you use one fan for 3 b'rooms, you would need some kind of relay or interlock, but why use one fan for 3 rooms??

The 3 bathrooms next to each other plus possible cost saver

Lectrician said:
Use double pole, one pole switches individual light, and the other pole switches the fan - no back feed.

Back feed to other fan switch wires. Make both sides of fan pull switch contact live.

And your point is??

Yes, but each switch will operate the fan......

And each switch will operate just it's light.

Same circuit, no probs. Whats the problem with having both sides of a switch having a live on it............a two way switching circuit will from time to time ;)

As I say - it is a very common way to wire these systems in a commercial app. Use a 20amp MK pull. I have wired many that have been specified like this.....

And if your fan is in a void, as it will be no-doubt, the isolator should be in the voide, adjacent the fan (assuming void is a loft etc). If not, just one isolator near to the fan.

Lectrician said:
Same circuit, no probs. Whats the problem with having both sides of a switch having a live on it............

I agree, not a problem with it, but going to extreme if someone was to work on 'dead' side of switch while someone turned fan on in other bathroom.......

Lectrician said:
a two way switching circuit will from time to time ;)

Can't see that, please explain ;)

Anyway, do you think i should go to the extra work of converting to single fan. The only reason to do it really is noise aspect

Lecky, have you ever done this? With the one fan also i will have suction in all 3 same time, which will be very annoying :evil:
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, do you think i should go to the extra work of converting to single fan.
You could have had 3 separate fans in by now ! And if someone is in one room having a nice quiet soak or something, they then have to put up with a central fan just because someone has gone into another room ! Not very pleasing... or functional.....

But beware of three fans sharing duct work - you just blow the crap from one room to another ;)

Three sets of ducting or put a backdraft shutter in each of the fans ducting before they join to one duct going to the outside; like this;
BG4BS.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back