Historical mould/rot - smell remains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house that had a hidden leak. I stopped the leak and replaced the affected floor joists and boards.

Months later the smell remains, but there are no visible signs of concern.

Is this normal? Do I need to treat surrounding wood to prevent smell?

What's going on?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240618_194635_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240618_194635_Gallery.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Water supply into the house was under there. It had a pin hole leak that had been spraying up at the boards for... well... a long time I guess.

Just to add more to the riddle, it's the room next to this that smells. I have taken the floor up and there is nothing going on. Concrete foundations, suspended timber floor with no damp or mould anywhere. I've scrutinised under all the boards.

The room is unfurnished

You think it's the wood that smells?
Buy 5lt of White cleaning vinegar off Amazon and spray everything.
Lash it on.
Vinegar leaves no smell when dry and also removes smells.
I'd consider replacing that wood though at some point. See how it goes.

Question. You've replaced wood. What's the picture of then? Looks black and terrible.
Smell could be in sub floor then. Treat that

Sponsored Links
I can only then the smell is in the wood. The picture was of the before problem. I thought adding a picture might prompt people to reply.

Smell must be in the concrete under. Maybe a lack of ventilation under?

Skill builder on YouTube covered ventilation and insulation under floorboards.
Maybe something to consider

I feel like I'm clutching at straws to be honest. I've added an extra air brick under the floor, but this does not seem to have done anything.

I guess vinegar is the next step

No mice? Dead or alive. They stink. Put some chocolate down and see if it's eaten

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back