Hive Receiver Wiring for Worcester Greenstar 1000 - Hot water only when central heating is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone please help with advice on wiring a Hive?

We have have had a Hive single channel for a Worcester Greenstar 1000 combi boiler recently installed.
Before the Hive was added, the boiler ran fine with the manual controls - Central heating and Hot Water.
Now the Hive has been added hot water only comes through when the central heating is on. The central heating appears to be switching the power for the hot water on/off as well as the central heating.
Worcester say the boiler is compatible with the Hive.

The wiring is shown in the photo.

Hive Receiver Wiring (Mains Supply – 3 core leads L,N,E: Black = Lead to Boiler, White = input from fused supply).

White 3 core lead = input

Mains Supply (Ls) Output to boiler (black lead) = Terminal 3

Can someone please advise what the wiring should be - thanks!

Attachments

• 20240917_181211.jpg
    20240917_181211.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 13
Sponsored Links
You say the black cable is the lead to the boiler - fair enough to call for heating, but -

verify that there is also another supply cable to the boiler.

The photo is not that clear.
There is a 3 core lead to the boiler (black 3 core lead in photo):
The blue neutral (N) is paired with the blue neutral (white 3 core) mains input lead (left hand terminal), the earths are paired at the earth (bottom right). The brown live (Ls) supply lead is on the second from left terminal. There is a link between the brown supply lead and the third from left terminal (labelled 1 common). The output (switched) live to the boiler is on the 5th from left - (labelled 3, Heating on (NO)) in the Hive single channel wiring diagram (below). The 4th (labelled 2) and 6th from left (labelled 4) are not connected. Suggestions welcomed - thanks.

1726667944364.png

Sponsored Links
Or put another way...
If the heating is off, are there any lights on the boiler or is the boiler display showing?

Yes, I think you are right - That's the question. I do not know how the terminals of the Hive receiver connect.

The supply lead to the boiler (black 3 core lead) only has the brown (L) lead connected to terminal labelled 3 - Heating On. So, this suggests maybe a 4th lead is required to provide a permanent live to the hot water supply circuit in the boiler?

When the heating is off the front panel/display on the boiler is off and does not respond to manual button press for the hot water.

Yes, I think you are right - That's the question. I do not know how the terminals of the Hive receiver connect.
The hive is correct.

The supply lead to the boiler (black 3 core lead) only has the brown (L) lead connected to terminal labelled 3 - Heating On. So, this suggests maybe a 4th lead is required to provide a permanent live to the hot water supply circuit in the boiler?
No, there should be a supply to the boiler as well.

What did you have before?

I think we've cracked it - just checked with Worcester Technical support - the switched live needs to go into the external control/switched 230V input on the boiler, the boiler permanent live needs a permanent supply - currently this is connected to the switched supply. So, I need a 4 core lead to fix it - so that I have both a permanent live and switched live inputs. Thanks everyone.

You have a slight misunderstanding of how the boiler operates.
The boiler should have a permanent supply; it should be operable by the controls and have a display.

The Hive should be connected to the C/H LR (live return) terminal of the boiler, so the fourth "lead", should be connected to this.

Screenshot_20240918-153235_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

We have have had a Hive single channel for a Worcester Greenstar 1000 combi boiler recently installed.
It seems that the installer has wired the Hive into the mains supply to the boiler, rather than the LR terminal.

Get them back to do it properly - however, to access the LR terminal (depending on version), the cover has to be removed from the boiler; this forms part of the room sealing of the appliance.
The boiler should be checked by an RGI, to ensure there are no leaks of combustion products afterwards.

Yes, the switched supply needs to go into the LR terminal for external central heating controls, as well as having a permanent supply for the hot water. I have also checked this out with Worcester technical support. I will be getting the electrician back in to sort it and the plumber who installed the boiler can also check it as the front panel has been removed. Thanks everybody for helping to sort this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back