Hive Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, would really appreciate some help if possible!

Purchased a Hive system to install to my Worcester Combi boiler. It was already set up with an old British Gas smart thermostat and WR1 receiver so I was hoping to keep the backplate and just switch over.

Anyway it wouldn’t fit and the wires were more confusing than I expected.

I tried to adjust them slightly, ended up messing everything up and lost power to the boiler. After trying forever to wire the Hive receiver or the old one back in, I finally managed to get it working for Hive.

My question is, is this wiring safe? It seems to work but doesn’t seem like it’s how it should be! Photo below.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
If I do, would that be correct to leave the wiring like this then? Don’t want to do any damag. Cheers.
Impossible to say for certain, unless we can see where the other ends of those cables connect!
But, it looks like you've managed to get it to work, nothing went bang, so should be OK.

I'm going to make a comment about the original wiring. Nice to see 3-core and earth flex used, but why, oh why did some numpty chop off the spare black in the supply cable? That might come in useful one fine day......

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 09.27.23.jpg

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say for certain, unless we can see where the other ends of those cables connect!
But, it looks like you've managed to get it to work, nothing went bang, so should be OK.

I'm going to make a comment about the original wiring. Nice to see 3-core and earth flex used, but why, oh why did some numpty chop off the spare black in the supply cable? That might come in useful one fine day......

View attachment 353741
Thank you mate, fingers crossed you’re right then. I should never have had a go at it tbh, out of my depth! Especially as you noticed, the wires don’t quite make sense!

If it’s useful, this is how it was wired up originally to the WR1 receiver so I’ve pretty much mirrored this in the end but added the neutral back in. Not sure how this was operating without anything in the neutral terminal?

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 19

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back