Hole at base of open fireplace hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just doing some work on the fireplace hearth, planning to remove the old brickwork and rebuild it with a tiled top that matches the tiled floor.

Whilst removing existing tiles I found a small hole at the front that leads down into the floor, approx 3 inches in size. I can feel a slight draft coming from it so wondering if it was some sort of vent? It was covered loosely by the existing tiles. Any ideas what it's for and if it's needed?

Thanks,

20240926_163628.jpg20240926_163621.jpg20240926_163618.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could be old vent or pipe route or just a hole . You don’t need it .
Thanks for reply. Yes, assumed I wouldn't, was mostly curious what it was for. This fireplace isn't an original part of the bungalow, bungalow was built mid-50s, this fireplace was added maybe 30-40 years ago, so perhaps not even related?

Sponsored Links
Old Baxi Burnall fires had to have an under floor vent fitted.

Cheers, I guess that what it is then.

It's currently just an open fireplace, but having a Jetmaster firebox fitted. I'll tile over the old vent.

Thankyou for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back