Home doorbell/alarm/cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm not sure this is the right thread fully, but need some help.

We've moved into a new home and looking for a better security. Alarm, cameras, doorbell... not sure what route to go. We don't need fort knows, bit something for peace of mind.

First is the doorbell. We were thinking of going for the reolink wired doorbell. Less battery changes and it seems the quickest for notifications? Although no picture on the notification?

Next would be an alarm. Here I have no idea where to go. The house had a previous alarm and has some cables running through but it has been cut underneath the stairs and the main parts all removed.

I also was wondering if cameras would be worthwhile. I live the idea and cctv seems a better option than the sd card cameras. But I don't want the expenses of an nvr and it seems overkill for a home?

My sister today has just given me a blink system off amazon. 4 cameras and doorbell.. I have heard alot about this system but don't want to install it if there's better. Especially the doorbell the reolink seems more popular.

Any tips and ideas are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you don’t want to spend the money for better.

Can’t comment on anything with any certainty as no detail.

Blink means absolutely nothing without knowing the specification of the models you have been given.

Can’t say if they are good or bad for your home as don’t know if you have a terraced house that’s straight on to the pavement, or a buffer garden or a massive garden with a drive that takes more than 5 minutes to walk up.

Don’t understand live SD no nvr comment?..

You can record to a sd card, nas, nvr/dvr but as cards may not store enough data but that depends on how they are used size etc etc.

i would use a nas, mainly due to licences etc could make it prohibitive and nit familiar on how they tick but seen one recently where changing the settings appears to have no impact on storage days, increase resolution and it falls over.

Yea, Budget is tight. I hope to fit myself.

The blink system from amazon is the outdoor camera and video doorbell.

Terraced house, small porch.

That was a misstype. I meant I like the idea of cameras in the home but poe cameras seem large and bulky. They don't seem very homely. So more discreet cameras (like the blink) would be better. But something subscription free that records elsewhere.

I have looked briefly at Home Assistant and it looks really good. But theres a steep learning curve(lots of techincal stuff zigbee, mqtt etc) and Im not sure what hardware I would need.

What do other people have and what works well?

Sponsored Links
cameras should be specified on what you need them to do.

Then you can look at what best fits your needs, all over this forum and others you will see buying badly and buying twice.

battery cameras dont need any wires but need to be recharged, or there batteries do and dont record 247 usually
wifi cameras still need power whether battery or cable
Not sure there is much difference in size, the battery ones tend to be bulkier to accommodate the battery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back