Honda Stepwgn does not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone, just wandering if someone can shed some light of what is going on with my “Steppy”, it is probably a long shot but any help is appreciated.

I’ve got Honda Stepwgn (or Stepwagon) 2010 RK1, 2.0L petrol, VTC gearbox. I have decided to replace the stock Satnav/music system for Android one. I have removed the stock one out, checked the cables that are not used in new system and wanted to tidy them up with some cable ties, so they don’t rattle about. One of them is the TV controller that was only connected with one black wire to “earth” and as soon as I have cable tied it my steppy gone a bit strange: when I turn ignition to first “click” – in the centre, the clock is showing but not fan controls, dashboard lights up fine and I get repeated three beeps; when I turn ignition to second “click” – clock goes off (nothing in the centre screen) and dashboard goes a bit dim with only seatbelt, battery and powersteering lights on; if I try to start the car – I get an audible “click” behind glovebox, dash lights go off, the seatbelt/battery/powersteering lights flash very fast with a clicking noise and there is no turn of the engine.

So, I left it for few hours and thought that maybe when I cabletied the wires I have shortened something and blown a fuse. After few hours I’ve removed the black earth cable from the TV controller and tried to start the car. The first turn of ignition was fine – got clock and fan controls; second “click” was also fine got all the usual lights on the dash. But it lasted only about 5 seconds, the clock and fan screen gone black, dash gone dim and car would not start.

So, I assume that it is not a fuse but something is still shorting. I have checked if there are any cables that are damaged or broken but cannot see anything suspect. I’ve connected OBD scanner but it does not report any faults (which is strange to me). Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Check your battery hasn't gone flat whilst you've been working in it, having the doors open with interior lights on whilst working can drain a battery surprisingly fast

I think that TV wiring was shorting somewhere. I have removed it completely and then charged the battery. Car has started now fine but I'll keep checking to make sure nothing else is causing the battery drain. Thank you both for your suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Back