Horstmann 7 Water Control Disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!

I bought the above as I read it was a good replacement for my old Pactrol controls which died on me. When I opened the wiring box, I saw that there were 8 wires going into the pactrol, whereas this one needed only 6. I'm no electrician, so I asked a neighbour what I need to do.

There was one extra earth which he told me to just put in with one of the others on the control, and another blue wire, which he told me to put into a choc-block and have one wire coming out to put into the control connector so both blues went into the same point. He then said I needed to put in an extra wire on the choc-block to connect these two, which seemed strange to me.

It worked fine for a while, then stopped, and when I opened it the choc-block had burnt and completely melted. I used a 30 amp choc-block.

Can anyone tell me how to wire it - preferably with a nice diagram and everything explained in colours of wires and into which points they go please?

I'm really not clued up on electrics, but thought this would be easy. I am thick, so there is no need for anyone to point this out to me.

My wife has already done that.

Sponsored Links
Could you post piccys of the Pactrol and one of the control you have now?

Hi securespark - yes, that's the pactrol I had. I don't have it now as I binned it, but I remember looking at that document when I was trying to fix it first time round. I called pactrol but no one there remembered it!

The problem I have is where do I put the extra 2 wires into the Horstmann?

I bet this is a really simple thing but I don't have a clue, so any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
HORTSMANN 7

1 = brown live in
2 = blue nuetral in
3 = blue neutral to both heaters
4 = brown boost load (live to top Immersion heater)
5 = brown off peak load (live to bottom Immersion heater)
Link 4 & 5 when using a single immersion heater.
Connect all green wires to earth terminal.

If two heaters there will be 9 wires in all
If one heater there will be 6 wires.

Explain exactly what all the wires are that you have, where they go to or come from and what colour they are: I cannot understand why there are 8.

There are three cables.

1 comes in from the mains.

1 goes to the top heater.

1 goes to the bottom heater.

There are actually 9 wires in total for the 3 cables.

On the Horstmann, there are 6 points named N, L, E, Off Peak Load, Boost Load and Heater Neutral - 6 in total, leaving me 3 wires which I don't know where to put where.

You should be left with three green earth wires, all three connect to the earth terminal. Or all joined together using a choc block.
Please read my earlier post.

I'm sitting here unable to imagine how this could possibly have gone wrong.

You have 3 cables, 9 conductors - 3 Live, 3 Neutral, 3 Earth.

In the drawing at the top of page 3 of the Pactrol instructions it shows 3 cables with 9 conductors - 3 Live, 3 Neutral, 3 Earth, and what goes into each terminal. It shows you and tells you which is IN and which is OUT, and which OUT is which.

In the instructions for the Horstmann it shows/describes where to connect 3 cables with 9 conductors:

1 in Terminal 1
1 in Terminal 2
2 in Terminal 3
1 in Terminal 4
1 in Terminal 5
3 in the Earth Terminal
--

It shows you and tells you which is IN and which is OUT, and which OUT is which.

This beggars belief, it really does.

Like I said at the end of my first post 'I am thick, so there is no need for anyone to point this out to me. My wife has already done that'.

I think my neighbour told how to wire it as though it is a single immersion heater.

Ask me a question on sport.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back