Hot water after 3 days

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently tarting up a customer's rental property in East India Quay. On midday friday the electricity went off. Turns out that tennant had an app to top up the electricity meter. I did let the customer know that I have no power. She asked me to get the concierge to let me take a photo of the balance on the meter. It showed minus £38. I am still waiting for the customer to open an account so that she can use the app and give me electricity.

Today, I was washing out brushes. I expected the water to be cold. It was hot (I wouldn't say boiling hot, but still hot). Is an immersion heater really able to keep water hot for over 48+ hours?

Sponsored Links
So is 48+ is hours normal?

Given that no one is living there, it goes without saying that very little water has been taken out of the immersion heater. And yeah, thanks I am using the term immersion heater to refer to the whole cylinder.

Sponsored Links
I used to have a vented system which kept the water warm in the cylinder for less than two days max.

Insulating it would have made it retain heat for more longer. However, a lot of factors matter not just having it insulated.

I'd expect it to be still warm, just how warm I wouldn't like to guess.

I thought you were, I was having a little joke.

The water is still hot (today)- not burning hot, but still hot (not tepid). I believe that it is on some kind of Economy 7. Is it possible that the supplier (EDF) allows electricity through on Economy 7 (or whatever it is called these days). That would certainly explain how the tenant has managed to run run up a £38 deficit after moving out of the property.

The water is still hot (today)- not burning hot, but still hot (not tepid). I believe that it is on some kind of Economy 7. Is it possible that the supplier (EDF) allows electricity through on Economy 7 (or whatever it is called these days). That would certainly explain how the tenant has managed to run run up a £38 deficit after moving out of the property.
Sounds plausible, but does it affect the work you're doing?

Sounds plausible, but does it affect the work you're doing?
Fair call. I would rather hot water when it comes to cleaning my brushes. I suspect that the cleaners will be more slightly annoyed when it come to them cleaning the flat.

BTW, the water is noticeably cooler now, not quite cold. I just didn't realise that a tank could keep water warm for so many days. I retract my statement about the economy 7. That said, I do not understand how the tennant ended up £38 in debt on a pay as you go meter.

That said, I do not understand how the tenant ended up £38 in debt on a pay as you go meter.
Well it'll be accruing by the standing charge of around 41p a day (assuming the low London rate) from whenever the tenant vacated the premises, plus whatever Emergency credit is allowed to be consumed by whomever (£5 afaik?). At that SC rate the place would have been empty for around 3 months, though!

The alternative is they got into debt and were forced onto a PAYG meter by the Supplier; with the debt being, slowly, repaid at every top-up credit.

Yes, it can last for days (unless you use it)

I was struck by this when I enjoyed a hot bath after a weekend of DIYing with the power off.

Modern unvented cylinders are often very big, as well as having good insulation.

Well it'll be accruing by the standing charge of around 41p a day (assuming the low London rate) from whenever the tenant vacated the premises, plus whatever Emergency credit is allowed to be consumed by whomever (£5 afaik?). At that SC rate the place would have been empty for around 3 months, though!

The alternative is they got into debt and were forced onto a PAYG meter by the Supplier; with the debt being, slowly, repaid at every top-up credit.

Makes sense, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back