Hot water challenge..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in desperate need of some expert advice on this one,

I'm installing a Rayburn 212sfw to provide cooking / hot water, however, and here's the issue, it's on a canal boat. The water is supplied via a pump (1.7bar) with an accumulator tank, there's no header tank and nowhere for to put one.

I've played with some ideas, but not sure how safe they would be! I'd really appreciate some advice.

Questions:

1) would it be safe to use an unvented indirect h/w tank, I was thinking of adding a pressure relief valve at say 0.5 bar above pump pressure venting to outside the boat.

2) the rayburn manual says that the tank should be 'fixed vertically as near as possible to the cooker'. Does this mean that it should / could be at the same level, if so then how does gravity circulate the hot water? I think I could, at a push get the tank up about 1m off the floor and am wondering whether this would be enough.

3) The manual also says that 'The maximum water pressure is 1.75 bar' in the boiler loop.. does anyone know if there is a minimum pressure. They also mention a header / expansion tank for this loop.. if there is no minimum pressure I could probably fit a small tank about head height, but is this the best / only way... space is at a real premium so I was thinking of having just an expansion pipe with say a 1 bar pressure release valve venting outside, with a stopcock to the main system to periodically top it up, a bit like some combi hot water systems... but something in my mind tells me this might not be a good idea (possibly the vision of an exploding rayburn!)

Anyway, I've got too many ideas and not enough expertise so I really welcome your thoughts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back