Hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have recently moved into a new home with a hot water cylinder and my gas usage since I have lived here has been rather high - around 660kWh per month despite no central heating being on. The previous owner kept the hot water on constantly all day and I blindly followed suit until the most recent month when I programmed my thermostat for the hot water to come on only twice a day, but my usage remained the same. I have since discovered that my boiler is firing up every time I turn a hot tap on, which I imagine is what is causing the high usage. I thought it might be a communication problem with the thermostat but the central heating appears to be unaffected. Can anyone help? Does this sound like something a heating engineer could easily fix? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of your hot water cylinder and surrounding pipework.
Also tell us the make and model of you gas boiler

Thanks - here are the pics. The boiler is an Ideal Logic Heat 15 and the thermostat is a Danfoss TP9000.

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_193104003.jpg
    PXL_20231030_193104003.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20231030_193109032.jpg
    PXL_20231030_193109032.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20231030_193158570.jpg
    PXL_20231030_193158570.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 77
Are you certain the boiler fires up every single time a hot tap is turned on ?have you observed the boiler fire up when no taps are running ?

Sponsored Links
Yes pretty sure. Although surely it shouldn't fire up at all if the hot water is only programmed to come on for an hour a day?

No it only fires up after a hot tap has been run or a shower/bath is in use. If it's relevant, the boiler also constantly displays a 'C' status.

Hi all. I have recently moved into a new home with a hot water cylinder and my gas usage since I have lived here has been rather high - around 660kWh per month despite no central heating being on. The previous owner kept the hot water on constantly all day and I blindly followed suit until the most recent month when I programmed my thermostat for the hot water to come on only twice a day, but my usage remained the same. I have since discovered that my boiler is firing up every time I turn a hot tap on, which I imagine is what is causing the high usage. I thought it might be a communication problem with the thermostat but the central heating appears to be unaffected. Can anyone help? Does this sound like something a heating engineer could easily fix? Thank you.
Are you sure you're not mixing up gas consumption M3 with kwh?? You might post a bill with personal details redacted.
660kwk/month, say 21kwh/day = 480LPD (40 deg HW equivalent ) at a boiler efficiency of 80%.

Are you sure you're not mixing up gas consumption M3 with kwh?? You might post a bill with personal details redacted.
660kwk/month, say 21kwh/day = 480LPD (40 deg HW equivalent ) at a boiler efficiency of 80%.
Sadly not - see attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-204144.png
    Screenshot_20231030-204144.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 79
That's pretty clear.
Can you turn up the cylinderstat to get the boiler firing and monitor the meter for say exactly 3 minutes, I think these give ~ 3 decimal places, then X the result by 220, (20x11.0) to give the gas consumption in kwh.

Is there any water flowing into the tundish?.

Last edited:
That's pretty clear.
Can you turn up the cylinderstat to get the boiler firing and monitor the meter for say exactly 3 minutes, I think these give ~ 3 decimal places, then X the result by 220, (20x11.0) to give the gas consumption in kwh.
Thanks, appreciate the suggestion but I'm more concerned about why the boiler keeps coming on in the first place when it shouldn't be.

Strange all right as its hardly a combi at 15kw!!, It depends on where the cylinderstat is located, its normally say 6" or so above the coil outlet to allow ~ 20L of HW use before the stat cuts in again, do you have a secondary circulating pump?.

Any water flowing into the tundish from the PRVs?.

Should also have asked if the boiler cuts out as soon as, or shortly after you close the HW tap.

Should also have asked if the boiler cuts out as soon as, or shortly after you close the HW tap.
No, it actually comes on after the hot water tap has been turned off. We have an engineer coming out to take a look next week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back