HotPoint - Fan oven not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fan oven setting for our HotPoint Pyrolytic oven has stopped heating and I'm trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

The conventional oven setting (none fan assisted) works and heats fine whereas the fan assisted setting doesn't - the fan spins but no heat.

I'm guessing its the element but wanted to be certain before ordering a new one.

The element is 2KW, I've checked the OHMS reading of the element and its around 8...is this fine or should it read more?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The conventional oven setting (none fan assisted) works and heats fine whereas the fan assisted setting doesn't - the fan spins but no heat.

If there is one element, and that one element works with no fan, then there is no reason why the element would not work with the fan, apart from a fault with the switch, or perhaps the wiring..

If there is one element, and that one element works with no fan, then there is no reason why the element would not work with the fan, apart from a fault with the switch, or perhaps the wiring..
Sorry i shouldve explained a bit better, theres 2 elements. One for the conventional oven and grill setting, that works fine. One for the fan-assisted oven setting - this one doesn't seem to work.

I'm trying to figure out whether its an issue with the thermostat, control unit or the element itself

A 240V 2kW element should have a resistance of ~30 Ohms.
With the element disconnected, double-check its resistance, having first zeroed your test-meter by shorting its probes together.

Sponsored Links
A 240V 2kW element should have a resistance of ~30 Ohms.
With the element disconnected, double-check its resistance, having first zeroed your test-meter by shorting its probes together.
Yeah it sounds like the element to me then, the ohms are coming in around 7-8

Yeah it sounds like the element to me then, the ohms are coming in around 7-8

Something is not quite right there. 7-8 Ohms would suggest an element of around >7.2Kw, meaning the element, when on, would be white-hot.

Normally, when an element fails, they fail open circuit/high resistance. This suggests you may not have disconnected the element from the rest of the circuit fully, or that your meter is simply faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back