How best to minimise boiler noise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting rid of my very old floor standing Ideal Mexico boiler for a combi that will of course be wall mounted. The cupboard it'll be installed in is back to back with a built-in wardrobe in my bedroom. More to the point, the wall it'll be mounted on is the dividing wall (stud partition) between the cupboard and wardrobe.

I appreciate I'm going to hear the general noise of the boiler from my bedroom. tbh it's a relatively small timber kit bungalow so you tend to hear almost everything from any room.

However, as opposed to the boiler just being mounted either directly onto the wall or a piece of ordinary boarding, what do you reckon would be the best thing to mount it on to minimise/dampen noise and vibration coming through to my bedroom?

Sponsored Links
I, recently, decided to replace my cylinder system with a combi and the installer favoured the airing cupboard where the cylinder was to be taken out of. His thinking was mainly that the cupboard was equipped with the flow, return, gas, cold water and facility for the flue to exit reasonably conveniently. The copper dischage pipe and plastic condense were do-able albeit not exactly dead easy. He would have mounted it on a piece of ply as it's of stud construction.

I. on the other hand preferred to site it in the garage (which is where it finished up) .... the flue is even more convenient there and it's out of the way and the water and gas is all in place. Furthermore the airing cupboard now houses two vacuum cleaners, ironing board and iron, telescopic ladder for the loft and hanging rails for towels - plus a small radiator with TRV and a small tubular heater on a timer.

My biggest concern with the airing cupboard was that of the possibility of the boiler reverberating all round the house. I had visions of, in winter, the pump running all day and all evening and humming or buzzing due to it being screwed on to a timber and plasterboard wall.

Realistically I have to agree that thousands of boilers are sited on stud walls in new builds and you don't hear a massive outcry every day, so I guess I was overthinking the issue. But, as it turned out, I'm really glad it's in on a solid wall in the attached garage with the supplies conviently sited so as to confer nice short runs into the adjacent bathroom.

My post is of no help to the OP except to say he's not the only one concerned about possible noise and if he does have the option to site it on a solid wall then perhaps it could be given extra thought.

Our boiler is mounted in a cupboard actually in the bedroom.
Can hardly heard it. The pipes creaking as they expand make more noise.
It's an ideal logic max c30.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting rid of my very old floor standing Ideal Mexico boiler for a combi that will of course be wall mounted. The cupboard it'll be installed in is back to back with a built-in wardrobe in my bedroom. More to the point, the wall it'll be mounted on is the dividing wall (stud partition) between the cupboard and wardrobe.

I appreciate I'm going to hear the general noise of the boiler from my bedroom. tbh it's a relatively small timber kit bungalow so you tend to hear almost everything from any room.

However, as opposed to the boiler just being mounted either directly onto the wall or a piece of ordinary boarding, what do you reckon would be the best thing to mount it on to minimise/dampen noise and vibration coming through to my bedroom?
Not a boiler that should be removed. Built like brick outhouse, most likely outlast a combi.
Instal Evohome kit if running cost is an issue.
Not much to go wrong on the mexico

Sponsored Links
Not a boiler that should be removed. Built like brick outhouse, most likely outlast a combi.
Instal Evohome kit if running cost is an issue.
Not much to go wrong on the mexico
It's interesting you say that. I reckon the property was built mid 80s and the boiler original to the property.

As you say, I've been told by one or two heating engineers they're basic but robust workhorses. As you also allude to, one engineer said 'they have about 3 working parts that can go wrong, keep it!'

I suppose I was just thinking about moving with the times, however yeah I might reassess and just keep it :)

It's interesting you say that. I reckon the property was built mid 80s and the boiler original to the property.

As you say, I've been told by one or two heating engineers they're basic but robust workhorses. As you also allude to, one engineer said 'they have about 3 working parts that can go wrong, keep it!'

I suppose I was just thinking about moving with the times, however yeah I might reassess and just keep it :)
Source the three basic parts and you are laughing.

Source the three basic parts and you are laughing.
What made me laugh is when I first moved in I put it on a British Gas service plan. Two three years in, a BG engineer said they'd need to take it off break/fix but could still do the annual service. When I asked why he said 'can't get parts for them any more ... have you thought about buying a new combi, we are currently doing a deal ...'

Being a 'tight Fifer' money wise, needless to say I didn't jump at his offer. Just as well, cause the following year another BG engineer essentially said 'rubbish, parts can still be had.'

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I suspect British Gas service "engineers" (technician is a better description I think) are on commission to sell new boilers. So they'll try to condem your existing boiler on any pretext and "can't get the parts" is always a favourite one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back