How best to sort out this blown plaster in window area? (1930s house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
We're redoing a room for the rapidly approaching birth of our son. A lot of the plaster is blown and we will either replaster or batten and board (I would prefer this way)
This area has me baffled, though. As you can see in the image, all the plaster is blown, including the thick plaster between the wood and the brick. How would I go about replacing/repairing that thick plaster? Also, I'm not sure what the wood is doing there, because it ends on top of the bottom sill (which also goes under the window, not up to it)

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Neal
1725901782377.jpg

Sponsored Links
The timber was fitted to create a fixing point for the window as the house possibly had box sash windows originally hence the deep reveals. I would build out the timber to sit flush with the face of the brickwork and then use expanding foam, applied steadily so as not to bulge the pvc reveal liner, to fill the cavity in at both sides of the timber and then trim it flush when set. You can then dot and dab new plasterboard onto the brickwork and fix to the timber face creating a square edge and either skim the boards or fill and paint/paper etc...

The timber was fitted to create a fixing point for the window as the house possibly had box sash windows originally hence the deep reveals. I would build out the timber to sit flush with the face of the brickwork and then use expanding foam, applied steadily so as not to bulge the pvc reveal liner, to fill the cavity in at both sides of the timber and then trim it flush when set. You can then dot and dab new plasterboard onto the brickwork and fix to the timber face creating a square edge and either skim the boards or fill and paint/paper etc...
Thanks for your reply. Any particular expanding foam that's good for this job?

All pretty much the same to be honest, i would remove any of the loose thicker plaster near the timber too once you break off the blown section.

Sponsored Links
@DAZB If I was using batten and board (I want to add some insulation) , it would obviously stick out further than if I were dot and dabbing. How would you approach the upvc reveal liner then? The plasterboard might stick out further than the liner (which is fixed in place by the window screws)

You could form a corner with the board, angle bead it then skim the return up to the liner

Use expanding foam. If you press lightly, the foam comes out slow, it stays relatively thick and minimal expansion, and sets quicker if you spray it with water.

Build up in a few layers until it gets the shape just below the surface. Then trim any excess, as need be and finish with plaster or filler.

You could form a corner with the board, angle bead it then skim the return up to the liner
Sorry mate, what do you mean by return?
This is what I've got so far. The circled area is the problem...
Screenshot 2024-09-10 110800.png

Ah I see what you mean. Then just skim up to the end of the reveal liner. Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back