How can a gas leak be found? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cadent came out last night and detected a gas leak under the floor boards In my water tank cupboard and gave me a reading of 180pm capped the gas and told me to call liberty this morning liberty came out and couldn’t detect a leak to which cadent came out again and they also couldn’t find a leak now? Anyone any advice on what could have triggered the probe to give an indication of the gas leak in the first place? I’ve got 3 kids and not sure if I should be worried or not

Sponsored Links
Cadent came out last night and detected a gas leak under the floor boards In my water tank cupboard and gave me a reading of 180pm capped the gas and told me to call liberty this morning liberty came out and couldn’t detect a leak to which cadent came out again and they also couldn’t find a leak now? Anyone any advice on what could have triggered the probe to give an indication of the gas leak in the first place? I’ve got 3 kids and not sure if I should be worried or not
Are you detached, terraced, semi?

Sponsored Links
Silly question - but Im guessing Liberty turned the gas back on, when they checked for a leak?

What was the result of the drop test?
cadent said there wasn’t a drop in pressure from the start, I initially called cadent because my house mainly the bedroom with the water tank stunk of fuel/ petrol type smell which they put down to someone flushing petrol or cleaning something petrol related and it going into the drainage but then they detected a gas leak I’m now wondering if the smell of fuel could of triggered the gas detector

cadent said there wasn’t a drop in pressure from the start, I initially called cadent because my house mainly the bedroom with the water tank stunk of fuel/ petrol type smell which they put down to someone flushing petrol or cleaning something petrol related and it going into the drainage but then they detected a gas leak I’m now wondering if the smell of fuel could of triggered the gas detector

Some years ago we had a smell of gas in the downstairs entrance hall where there is a cloakroom and the external gas meter is on the outside wall of the cloakroom.
We called out the appropriate people and they tested around the outside meter and inside the hallway, all the tests were negative. The guy said they had been called out to about half a dozen houses within 500 yards of us, all showing a negative result.
He (rightly or wrongly, we don't know) put it down to gases, possibly partly methane being pushed up through the sewers after heavy rain.

It's never happened in the 10 or more years since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back