How can I open a stuck upvc window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's on a slightly damp wall, I am wondering if there's something I can spray in before trying to force it.

Would penetrating oil spray of some sort or silicone spray help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try to establish which part is stuck, it might be a hinge. Otherwise use force force equally around the frame.

How is it stuck, does the handle move/not move, or does it move and not do anything like it's not connected to anything or does it open one end of the window but not the other?

If the handle is just turning and nothing happens it could be something as simple as the spindle coming away from the back of the handle, remove handle to see, bash spindle back in and it's fixed temporarily, or slightly more dramatic it could be the square drive in the gearbox where the spindle slides into could have fallen apart and now the handle will just turn.

It could also be the centre gearbox failure and it's only operating one end of the lock(see first paragraph).

There's a few variables on how a window can be stuck, it's like saying my cars broken down, how do I fix it.

Check handle first then look through the spindle hole to check the square drive is still intact

You can move the handle but it doesn't unlock, the handle is turning the square. It must be the gearbox or part of the locking mechanism at fault I think

Sponsored Links
You can move the handle but it doesn't unlock, the handle is turning the square. It must be the gearbox or part of the locking mechanism at fault I think
I had a similar problem, we used to always have the window ajar and moisture must have got into the gearbox an seized it.
I found a Youtube video on how to release it involving a pair of mole grips and an allen key.
I then replaced the gearbox and the lock rods

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back