How deep is my cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably going to have my front garden paved over in the next few months. Just as a matter of interest, how deep are my cables likely to be? And gas/water come to that. The reason I ask is that the firm I'm getting a quote from have been working in the next street and they have a pretty big digger that looks as if it could do serious damage in the wrong hands. They are an established company so presumably they will know what they're doing.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
When originally laid it would have been about 450mm deep, what it is now is an unknown.
Suggest you get a copy of the cable records from the DNO (UK Power Networks) and ensure that the contractor complies with HSE Guidance note HS(G)47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services.

a few inches down to around 40"
ask the rellivent company [gas cable water electric] if they know

there may or may not be a sand layer with warning tape :eek:

No matter how big the machine a good driver will take soil out inch at a time with a banksman inspecting the exposed surface for any sign of cables, pipes and other hazards. ( old wells, cess pits etc etc ). Takes longer but could save them a few hundred pounds in repair bills.

If the driver is digging away without a banksman then remind him that any damage he does will have to be paid for.

Sponsored Links
Depth depends on how old the house is and when they were installed.

Recent houses will be faily deep but we do find them less that 300mm. Cable TV may be less than 150mm.

If all they are doing is paving they are unlikely to go deep enough to find cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back